Arduino Project

superclown

Market
Reaction score
I have looked over pricing of reef controllers and been doing a lot of looking at arduino boards in the past. I am hoping to make this a fun and interesting project. I am going to start out with a basic controller that will shut lights on and off and a simple temp controller.

I have placed an order and I am waiting for the parts to arrive

I will be using the arduino Uno its the latest board thats been released. I could have spent a little less and gotten the older board that would have done just fine. However it was only a few bucks more so I figured why not

I also have picked up a 20x4 Lcd display similar to what you see on the RKE or APEX system.

I have found a keypad that I picked up as well that is 16 digit input that I may not use as I found a slider joystick similar to whats on the psp that I may use instead.

I was going to use a DJ Power Bar and wire in 10 solid state relays but I found a better deal on a project box, relays, 10 industrial style snap in plugs.

I will post some pics when this stuff starts coming in

Can't wait, sounds awesome. Are you thinking of doing any kind of ramp up and down on lighting?

I have thought about that but at this time I am mainly trying to do something simple to get my feet wet and just test. However if it works good I got a slew of idea

and the first DIY reef controller was born!! lol, tagging along!

606222=28742-RKE.jpg
>
606222=28742-RKE.jpg
class="gc-images" title="RKE.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Lol that's funny stuff right there. The hardest part is going to be learning the code but I've dabbeld in c++ and other coding so it wouldn't be too hard there are people doing far more advanced things with the platform so it shouldn't be too hard

gnashty;606222 wrote: and the first DIY reef controller was born!! lol, tagging along!

606222=28742-RKE.jpg
>
606222=28742-RKE.jpg

That's the guy who stole my plotter!!! Seriously, thinking about the same, but the move has put a damper on my playing. Tagged!

If you're looking to create a controller because it's fun, then by all means, go for it.

If you're looking to create a controller that will outdo what's currently offered to either have better feature set or to save money, then I'd recommend against it.

I've been down this road several times, with several different microprocessors. I program professionally and have a background in assembly language and electronics / embedded systems. What you're talking about is doable, but no small undertaking.

I don't want to discourage you from making something, but be aware that it's a tough hill to climb. If you're looking for a nice, reliable controller, I'd highly recommend just buying one... Otherwise, have fun! :)

mojo;606470 wrote: If you're looking to create a controller because it's fun, then by all means, go for it.

If you're looking to create a controller that will outdo what's currently offered to either have better feature set or to save money, then I'd recommend against it.

I've been down this road several times, with several different microprocessors. I program professionally and have a background in assembly language and electronics / embedded systems. What you're talking about is doable, but no small undertaking.

I don't want to discourage you from making something, but be aware that it's a tough hill to climb. If you're looking for a nice, reliable controller, I'd highly recommend just buying one... Otherwise, have fun! :)

Thanks for the word of warning mojo I already have a rke so this is just for fun and no ny the time I buy and build everything it will be just as expensive however my needs are simple and I just want something to tinker with

My first and most important part of this project arrived today I was really surprised at the quality of this boarfor the price and came in a neat lil box

2011-01-31_13-16-45_840.jpg
alt="" />

Im still waiting on a lot of parts but getting the arduino itself is a start

def going to be following this thread... i've been looking at the arduino boards a lot lately

I wish I could say yea but a lot of parts are coming from chime most of the parts om still waitinon wont br here till mid march

I will have to look re part number up later for the temp sensor but here is what I've one so far the project box was picked up from radioshack and my 20x4 screen came in today

2011-02-28_00-21-08_345.jpg
alt="" />

SuperClown;615693 wrote: I wish I could say yea but a lot of parts are coming from chime most of the parts om still waitinon wont br here till mid march

Yes It Takes Forever For This Stuff TO Arrive!! Im Waiting For My RTC And Relays.

gnashty;606222 wrote: and the first DIY reef controller was born!! lol, tagging along!

606222=28742-RKE.jpg
>
606222=28742-RKE.jpg

That's too funny Gary (thanks). The caption mentions-

-what a home PC will look like in 2004

-it will require not invented yet technology (duh, do ya think!)

-it will not be economically feasible for home use (mmm, we have 4, at last count anyway)

-with a Teletype interface and Fortran programming language IT WILL BE EASY TO USE, :lol2:that is just laughable to me right there.

Edit:
SuperClown;606274 wrote: Lol that's funny stuff right there. The hardest part is going to be learning the code but I've dabbeld in c++ and other coding so it wouldn't be too hard there are people doing far more advanced things with the platform so it shouldn't be too hard

You may want to take a look at the web site below. Adafruit has DIY electronics/kits. I have posted a link to their on-line Arduino development tutorial for you to take a look at.

index.php

There is a DIY arduino project somewhere on RC I think. It may be one done by DWZM if I remember right. You could maybe get some code ideas from that project?
Landon

Oh I already have.all the code I need. I just need about 6 more relays and I need.to air everything up get a ph probe and my temp probe

The ReefAngel is an Arduino based Open Source reef controller project. You could order one of their power bars and integrate it I guess?

Back