Are phosban reactors worth it?

ace1204

Market
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding one to my Solana but wanted everyones input??

I've used these off and on for a few years now. I have ran both GFO and carbon with success. A buddy of mine runs GFO, carbon and floss in his inline before his chiller. The floss helps in keeping debris out of his chiller.

I've got a 2 Little Fishes phosban reactor 150 that i did a mod to so i could run carbon and phosban at the same time. The mod didn't work all that well but it will still work well for phosban or carbon seperatly. I'm not using it any more since my fuge is taking care of the phos now. Your welcome to it if you want it. It's just sitting around gathering dust here.

I've been running one since my tank was set up. I run alternating phosphate for 4 weeks and carbon for 2 weeks.

What is your po4 testing at? I wouldnt run it if they are really low, but otherwise, it is great to bring it down.

tgray3;305145 wrote: I've got a 2 Little Fishes phosban reactor 150 that i did a mod to so i could run carbon and phosban at the same time. The mod didn't work all that well but it will still work well for phosban or carbon seperatly. I'm not using it any more since my fuge is taking care of the phos now. Your welcome to it if you want it. It's just sitting around gathering dust here.

what mod? I run both in mine right out of the box with no issues at all.

tgray3;305145 wrote: I've got a 2 Little Fishes phosban reactor 150 that i did a mod to so i could run carbon and phosban at the same time. The mod didn't work all that well but it will still work well for phosban or carbon seperatly. I'm not using it any more since my fuge is taking care of the phos now. Your welcome to it if you want it. It's just sitting around gathering dust here.

You think I can borrow that for a while?
I just need to see if I can really control my cyano with that concept - if I do, I wanna build something to use with my existing plumbing.

Robb

I run gfo(phosban) and carbon 24/7 on mine. I would start out with half of the amount they recommend , run that for a couple weeks then add a quarter,run that for a couple weeks then add the remainder.This is if you have any sps in the tanks. Other corals do not seem to mind the sudden drop in nutrients as much. I would still slowly add the gfo.

My phosphates are a little high probably due to my RO filters being burnt and putting out 7 TDS.

Today I will start up my reactor but here is what I have learned by reading up on this, that you can over do it with a phosban reactor and you can create one problem by fixing another.

I am using the Seachem media but I took the recommended amount and cut it in half and I will run it that way and monitor the params.

Once I feel more comfortable then I will gradually add more media.

LilRobb;305213 wrote: You think I can borrow that for a while?
I just need to see if I can really control my cyano with that concept - if I do, I wanna build something to use with my existing plumbing.

Robb

This will not help cyano. cyano is a bacteria, not an algae. Trust me, I ran a ton of gfo, and still had a lot of cyano in my old tank.

rostato;305234 wrote: This will not help cyano. cyano is a bacteria, not an algae. Trust me, I ran a ton of gfo, and still had a lot of cyano in my old tank.
+100

cyano will not be affected by gfo, at least not a noticeable amount.

I've done this.
I know this.

GFO is excellent on removing phosphates, and I have been using it for years. However, when starting GFO, you must let your animals adjust to the lower levels of phosphate or your inhabitants (especially any sps) can die. I suggest acclimating very slowly over a 2 month period, 25%-50% less than the directions usually state. A lot of members had some really bad experiences starting gfo.

I also have 2 little fishies reactor and run both phosphate free carbon and phosban at the same time with no issues, the instructions say you can do the mix. As a result my phosphates don't register on my test kit any more and tank water clarity is great.

Back