Are these flatworms?

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Started on a couple of rocks and spreading rapidly. Mainly on the rocks but also on the sand. Today I spotted a couple on a leather finger and on the glass.</span></span>

<span style="color: black;">Doesn't look like they are moving around. They shrink under actinic and almost gone at night.</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Victor, you seem quite sure. I assume you had them before. How did you treat it?</span>

no thank god i havent had them before but know a few people that have you can try flatworm exit sam at aquabuys sells it and could exlan how to use it cause he had flat worms

Hanin,
Take a look a this page and look at the pic of foraminiferans...you think it might be those?

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm">http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm</a>

If they are flatworms, Melevsreef has an article on his experience:
[IMG]http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html">http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html</a>

I agree with Victor, those are certainly flatworms. However, I disagree with the urgency needed to remove them. These acoel flatworms are not know to predate on any of the inhabitants that we keep (that we can appreciably determine). If in high enough concentrations, theoretically they could block the light that would strike a coral, but this isan extreme case (in which case treatment would be more urgent). But, at any rate, dont feel you need to get them out NOW. Research potential solutions, and go with what works for you. Throwing something like flatworm exit in without meeting the very specific directions will cause way more problems than leaving them.

I agree with Panda... Those ARE flatworms... They do not NEED to be removed but they will multiply at a rate of a jack rabbit. They should be removed, IMHO. The sooner you come up with a solution, the easier they will be to treat. But you have time to come up with a carefl solution because the cure can do as much, if not more, damage then the problem itself.

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Thanks Loren, I have studied those links thoroughly before posting this thread. And I agree, panda, on preparation for the treatment.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Up till today, it has just been esthetically unpleasant, but since I started seeing them on my leather I&#8217;m very much considering treating the tank.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Meleves article is great and I&#8217;m prepared for the task: Siphon, treat, siphon again, carbon and prepare for a water change. </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Haven&#8217;t made up my mind if to pull the trigger yet but would keep the post updated.</span>

Hanin another thought for controlling flatworms is to find something that will feed on them. I had them in my tank before I added any fish, although the population was small. I added a six line wrasse and he devoured them after getting most of the pods that were on the glass. People have different results, but for me, the wrasse has done great.

Joe

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">First step siphon - done. </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">First attachment is the same rock after siphon.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Second attachment is the siphon “rig” based on Meleves' article. Works very good and starting the siphon is as easy as it say – put the hose next to your powerhead and lit it do the rest :) </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Third attachment shows the buggers. It smells like **** (beep)</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Second step dosing – done.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Flatworm Exit 150% times the recommended dose. I read and researched a lot and it seems to be the best way to go about it. The instructions say dose, wait 30 minuts, if nothing happens dose another 50%.</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Third step – wait…</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">By the time I came back from my computer, after writing my last post, the tank was full off flatworm bodies… </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Step 4 (I had step 2 twice on my previous post…) carbon – done.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Step 5 siphon the worms – done.</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Right now all seems well. The corrals are a little shy after having my hand in the tank for a while. But other then that all looks ok.</span>

Id be more concern with the toxicity of flatworm guts rather than ammonia spike. Run carbon hardcore!

I feel your pain! I'm batteling these jerks by sucking them out with a turkey baster on a daily basis....

saltwater junky;101270 wrote: boy i hope the dipping the sun coral got all of them before sticking in my tank

I hope so too and sorry again.
On a good note, if you can get some flatworm exit you can dip it again.

I ended up also doing a 20% water change. All seems well. I got carbon running and planining to add some ammonia remover for good mesure.

hey no sweat man it happens to the best of us, im glad you told me right away. most people wouldnt have said a word so thank you for being upfrnt with me

Back