Are these fuzz hair Algae?

purplegorilla

Reaction score
So recently I started having this bloom on some of my rock. I think it kind of started when I added some addition rock in my sump (suppose to be cure). I think its hair Algae but not sure. I ended up removing the phosphate reactor from my other tank to this tank to combat this. Also did 2 large (25%) water change.

What elses can I do? I only feed the fish once a day. Should I turn the lights off or limit the lights to 2-3 hrs a day?

Got couple of turbo snails, lots of hermits, and planning to get an army todat at Keen's Reef.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
154681=9614-algae1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
154681=9614-algae1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="algae1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
154681=9615-algae2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
154681=9615-algae2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="algae2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

So is the slimy algae on the glass normal?

I had hair algae too. I just reduced food amount, not frequency, and the problem was solved. I also stopped spot feeding my corals every other day. Now, maybe once a week. I never tried phosban or the similar. I thought about trying it to eliminate/reduce the slimy glass algae.

corvettecris;154745 wrote: So is the slimy algae on the glass normal?

I had hair algae too. I just reduced food amount, not frequency, and the problem was solved. I also stopped spot feeding my corals every other day. Now, maybe once a week. I never tried phosban or the similar. I thought about trying it to eliminate/reduce the slimy glass algae.

Sounds like cyanobacteria..What color is it? What I noticed is they usually go together unfortunately...Cyano and Hair algae.

Anyways, today I minimized the lights a little. Bought an army of turbo snails, blue legs hermits, emerald crabs..ALready I can see them having an algae buffet. Hopefully, the rock will be clean like it was a week ago.

It could be Turf Algae. It's like a hair algae but stays shorter and just covers the rocks. One of the best books I can recommend is Julian Sprung's book on algae. So helpful for quick reference.

purpleGORILLA;155243 wrote: Sounds like cyanobacteria..What color is it? What I noticed is they usually go together unfortunately...Cyano and Hair algae.

It is a greenish-tan. I thought cyano was red/brown?

Cyanobacteria comes in both color. However red is more prevalent. Can you take a picture of it?

purpleGORILLA;155377 wrote: Cyanobacteria comes in both color. However red is more prevalent. Can you take a picture of it?

I will give it a try this evening when I get home.

I dont think so. I keep it cleaned off, so I dont know if it'd look like that after a period of time.

Here you go PG. My tank as of tonight:

SANY3822.jpg
>
th_SANY3822.jpg
alt="" /></a>
SANY3821.jpg
>
th_SANY3821.jpg
alt="" /></a>
SANY3820.jpg
>
th_SANY3820.jpg
alt="" /></a>

It came and went, now it seems to be coming back. Not sure why, no change in water source, feeding, etc. I wonder if the LFS filters are good? Anyways, combat suggestions?

corvettecris;155727 wrote: Here you go PG. My tank as of tonight:

SANY3822.jpg
>
th_SANY3822.jpg
alt="" /></a>
SANY3821.jpg
>
th_SANY3821.jpg
alt="" /></a>
SANY3820.jpg
>
th_SANY3820.jpg
alt="" /></a>

i have the same thing but my 1 snail wipes it out quick.

Yah, I'm looking for one. They just get snatched up really quickly.

Never the less, I just put some fresh purigen and did a 20%WC. I will let that ride a couple of days and see what happens.

Back