Assistance from someone in Columbus, GA area

marquiseo

Market
Reaction score
I tested the calcium in my reef tank and it was pretty low even after a water change. I wasn't sure if the test kit (red sea) is old or I have a bad batch of new salt (Red Sea Coral Pro). I went to the LFS near my home (Neptune's reef) to get a new calcium test kit but all they had were the Seachem Calcium test kit for $34. I didn't want to buy that because I would rather purchase a Red Sea Calcium test kit. So I asked them to test and the owner said she didn't know how to use the Seachem test kit. She then changed her mind and said that her current calcium test they were using to test had dried up and that she wasn't going to open a new one..........

I am asking is there anyone here in the Columbus area that will test the calcium in my sample so I can know if its my Red Sea test kit that I need to replace or if I need to report my salt to get a new batch?

Hey, there's another place in Columbus on veterans parkway about 2 miles down the road from there (towards downtown). I can't remember the name of it but the guy used to be in phenix city and moved hiw shop over. It's right next to ASA Perormance if you know where that is (also fat boys farmers market, Columbus outdoor equipment are right across the street). Feel free to text me if you need better details 7065752984. I think he's only there in the afternoons btw

jpines;975954 wrote: Hey, there's another place in Columbus on veterans parkway about 2 miles down the road from there (towards downtown). I can't remember the name of it but the guy used to be in phenix city and moved how shop over. It's right next to ASA Perormance if you know where that is (also fat boys farmers market, Columbus outdoor equipment are right across the street. Feel free to text me if you need better details 7065752984. I think he's only there in the afternoons btw

Aquatic Life. It's never open even at listed hours. It's just one person running the store. I guess I may have to see if Petsmart have any single calcium tests.

Yeah that's it. Sorry man. If I was in town id be more than happy to test it for you

Idk if petco has the api calcium kit or not. I know they aren't the best, but I just bought the salifert calcium kit to compare, and my api was pretty darn close.

jpines;975958 wrote: Idk if petco has the api calcium kit or not. I know they aren't the best, but I just bought the salifert calcium kit to compare, and my api was pretty darn close.

I went to Petco around the corner and it only had the reef master kit. I don't want to pay $30 for a test kit just to prove that my other test kit is wrong or my salt is bad. Id rather just order a new Red Sea Calcium refill kit but I want to be 100% sure which one I need to replace. I haven't check petsmart though. I will do that once I get off work.

I got a brand new redsea kit about 30 minutes away in Opelika, got some frags too.

I also have Nate from Aquaticlife's phone number if you need to get up with him. He does a lot of maintenance that keeps him busy.

Clay4AU;975964 wrote: I got a brand new redsea kit about 30 minutes away in Opelika, got some frags too.

I also have Nate from Aquaticlife's phone number if you need to get up with him. He does a lot of maintenance that keeps him busy.

Great. Can you text/call him and ask him will he be at his store at around 4-5pm to test my sample? If it's the test kit, I will want to buy a new one. How much will you sell yours for?

I pm'd you his number so ya'll can work out the details, I'm not even sure he carries a Ca test.

My test kit isn't for sale but you can use it to test your sample

Jrwhite07;975990 wrote: I have an API(know they aren't good) your welcome to use...

Jrwhite07;975995 wrote: And I meant aren't good as in cheap brand but they are within date lol

Thanks. Aquatic Life's owner is headed out of town so that was no go. I decided to try the test again on two different tanks. It appears my test kit is fine and my salt is fine but my main tank isn't. It tested at 290 ppm for calcium. The other tank was 360. I don't know why. I did 15% water change 2 days ago and its that low. I use the same salt batch on both tanks. I guess I will do a 50% water change and test again. Also, there are 2 acro frags and 2 monti frags in the tank. They possibly can't have consumed that much calcium in that short amount of time.

Are you testing your new mixed water? What salt are you using? SG? Water changes won't help if the water you're adding is low/off to start with.

tonymission;976025 wrote: Are you testing your new mixed water? What salt are you using? SG? Water changes won't help if the water you're adding is low/off to start with.

Red Sea Coral Pro as stated above. 1.025. The same bucket of salt was used for a nano tank's water change a week. It currently only has some zoas and it tested 360ppm. It previously had sps in it but I transferred those to the main display which tested at 290ppm just now.

I just tested my fresh saltwater mix and it tested at 420ppm.

calcium takes a lot to move it so you should give it time/water changes or look into other ways of raising it. i.e. calcium reactor(my suggestion), additives, two part, etc etc

mph84;976042 wrote: calcium takes a lot to move it so you should give it time/water changes or look into other ways of raising it. i.e. calcium reactor(my suggestion), additives, two part, etc etc

There aren't enough sps in the tank to consume calcium at this rate. I have kept an all sps tank and even then my calcium only change 10ppm per day and dosed then to bring it back. Ill just do a water change now and see what I get.

MarquiseO;976043 wrote: There aren't enough sps in the tank to consume calcium at this rate. I have kept an all sps tank and even then my calcium only change 10ppm per day and dosed then to bring it back. Ill just do a water change now and see what I get.

IF thats the case you probably need to look into the balance of your water. If your magnesium or alkalinity are way out of whack it will directly affect your calcium levels.

jpines;976045 wrote: Are your alk and mg levels good?

mph84;976046 wrote: IF thats the case you probably need to look into the balance of your water. If your magnesium or alkalinity are way out of whack it will directly affect your calcium levels.

Here are the results from my last test in log(before testing today):

Phosphates: .03 (salifert)
Nitrates: 2 (salifert)
Calcium: 260 (red sea)
Magnesium: 1320 (red sea)
Potassium: 350 (salifert)
dKH: 11 (API)

Back