ATI ICP testing

USMC Reefer

Supporting
Reaction score
Just curious...... I got my ICP test back today and the DKH on my tank they said was 7.14. I tested using my Hanna checker just before sending it off and my Hanna told me I was at 8.56......... does the DKH change over the two weeks in takes them to test it or are my checkers off??thanks everyone that responds!!!!

How do you fill the test vial? With a 10ml syringe? If not I would recommend it. My best guess is that the test is not being done accurately, maybe compare the results with another test kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac, I have never sent water in for testing, but perhaps it dropped similar to how it does it in a storage container. Did you send in all of the vials, or do you still have one? Not an immediate result, but if you still have one, you can fill it and test it yourself in a couple of weeks to see if that is what happened.

I have a Hanna Checker that is only a few weeks old and I pass through Cumming each day on my way home from work. Happy to stop by if you want to compare.

There's also ICP-Analysis in Colorado; probably a faster turn around time for next time you want to have it tested.

How do you fill the test vial? With a 10ml syringe? If not I would recommend it. My best guess is that the test is not being done accurately, maybe compare the results with another test kit.

So the syringe is more accurate than the 10ml level on the vial? I noticed when using a 5 ml syringe (x2) the meniscus level was slightly over the 10ml line on the vial. I always disregarded it and used the line on the vial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Zac, I have never sent water in for testing, but perhaps it dropped similar to how it does it in a storage container. Did you send in all of the vials, or do you still have one? Not an immediate result, but if you still have one, you can fill it and test it yourself in a couple of weeks to see if that is what happened.

I have a Hanna Checker that is only a few weeks old and I pass through Cumming each day on my way home from work. Happy to stop by if you want to compare.

There's also ICP-Analysis in Colorado; probably a faster turn around time for next time you want to have it tested.

Is it normal for levels to drop in the storage container? How much of a drop are we talking about?

So the syringe is more accurate than the 10ml level on the vial? I noticed when using a 5 ml syringe (x2) the meniscus level was slightly over the 10ml line on the vial. I always disregarded it and used the line on the vial.

Is it normal for levels to drop in the storage container? How much of a drop are we talking about?[/QUOTE]

As far as using the line on the vial, the bottom of the bubble curve has to be at the line, not the top. It’s easier and more consistent for me to use a syringe, it perfectly replicated the test every time.

Is it normal for levels to drop in the storage container? How much of a drop are we talking about?

As far as using the line on the vial, the bottom of the bubble curve has to be at the line, not the top. It’s easier and more consistent for me to use a syringe, it perfectly replicated the test every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I’ll give it a try

Yes your alk can change within 2 weeks. Heck it can change every day :). I think verifying your alk reading would be helpful. That's quite a difference in reading. 7 is still safe but any lower and your getting in the danger zone.

Yes your alk can change within 2 weeks. Heck it can change every day :). I think verifying your alk reading would be helpful. That's quite a difference in reading. 7 is still safe but any lower and your getting in the danger zone.

Is it because of lower PH due to no aeration? There would be nothing consuming it inside a container.

Ya I tested the alk the day I sent it out and it said 8.56 the. The ICP came back at 7.......... weird

ATI is the only ICP test that gives an Alk & NO3 measurement. They are testing via titration just like we do, only in a lab. If you have high bacteria levels in your system they can have an effect on the ALK. That would be the only thing that would do that.

My guess is a combination of test variance on your end and a slight drop in transit. I also fill my vials with a syringe, but still make sure the meniscus is at the bottom of the line.
With the samples I send in, I rinse them twice and fill them so there is no air in them. I haven't seen more than a .2dkh variance between my Hanna test and what I get back from ATI.

I will be switching to ICP-Analysis due to the length of time to get tests back from ATI or Triton. Also now that ATI raised the price it made that decision easier.

Back