ATI users - Bulb Combo Discussion....

gnashty

Market
Reaction score
I just bought all new ATI bulbs to replace my old T5 bulbs. This is what I have already in order of the line up. My fixture controls Whites/Actinic/Moonlight. I leave my Actinic on most of the light cycle (8hrs) and the Whites only for 3 hours.

from front to back:
1 - White - ATI Aquablue Special
2 - Actinic - ATI Blue Plus
3 - Whites - ATI Aquablue Special
4 - Actinic - ATI Actinic (just put in tonight, very dim)
5 - Whites - Stock Aquaticlife bulb, maybe a 420 actinic
6 - Whites - Stock Aquaticlife bulb,

I have the following new ATI bulbs
1 Purple Plus (makes all my red algae stick out bad!)
1 Actinic
2 12 k Aquablue Special
2 Blue Plus

I am having trouble figuring out which ones I want where. I was thinking of maybe using the 4 slots designated for whites and use them for my actinics and the other 2 slots for my whites.

Does anyone else have a 6 lamp fixture that runs ATI bulbs?

Which fixture are you using and what's in the tank? Are you having issues with algae? Why only 3 hrs for the "whites"?

Its a 72" Aquaticlife fixture, its actually 12 - 36" bulbs but I kept the post at 6 for simplicity.

Yes, I have been battling some algae and keeping the whites short to not make it worse than it needs to be. Flow is the major driver but the bulbs were all pushing 1 year ish.

Tank is a 210 mixed reef lightly stocked with about 6 fish. I do a 20% WC every saturday and did a 30% last week. I run GFO/Carbon, skim like crazy, and started feeding lighter but Im still having issues.

i have had my ATI bulbs in for two years now.... still going strong!

You definitely want more Blue lamps then white. Blues on the front and back....whites in the center. IMO of course.

My recommendation:

Front of tank
1 - Actinic - ATI Blue Plus
2 - 12 k Aquablue Special
3 - Whites - ATI Aquablue Special
4 - Whites - ATI Aquablue Special
5 - Actinic - ATI Blue Plus
6 - Actinic - ATI Blue Plus

Disclaimer: I don't recommend keeping lamps in for two years+....What works for me may not work for everyone else. Buying 16 - T5 lamps( In my case) is very expensive. And I am cheap. :)

Bulb combos need to take into account not only the color you are looking to get out of them (it seems you are looking for more of a Blue look) but also needs to ensure that you get enough PAR to keep the livestock thriving. Do you have clams and SPS as part of your "mixed reef"? Where are they located in the tank (on the sand bed, only in the top half)?

You also have a deep tank (I'm assuming this is lighting the 210 you have in your sig). The Blue Plus give very good PAR for a blue bulb but you'll get considerably less out of the actinics.

If you have mostly Softies and LPS, my suggestion would be:

Actinic
Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Aquablue special
Blue Plus
Actinic

If you have SPS and clams in the mix:

What James said above.

Back