Atilla molted

ms_ k

Market
Reaction score
Atilla molted. It was such a perfect molt that I actually thought he was dead. I couldn't find him anywhere. I took out the molt and threw it away. A little while later, I saw him come out from under a rock, waving his claws around. Just thought I'd share that info. It was rather cool to find such a large, perfect molt.

Ms. K...that has happened to me several times when I had Atilla. Take some pictures, love to see how big he has gotten! Is he still eating like a pig?

Atilla is a Florida Red Rock Crab. He was a hitch hiker on a shell I brought back last thanksgiving. He grew too big for my sump so I passed him on to Ms. K. Here are a few pictures of when I had him:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
93100=5779-Atilla.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
93100=5779-Atilla.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Atilla.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
93100=5780-Atilla1.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
93100=5780-Atilla1.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Atilla1.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
93100=5781-IMG_2059.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
93100=5781-IMG_2059.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_2059.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

He's huge! He bulldozes through my fuge and is always rearranging rocks. I know I've seen him move rocks that weigh a couple of pounds. He picks them up, stands them on end, and flips them over. I DID have some snails in my fuge, but I kept hearing noises. One day I discovered that the noises were Atilla cracking open all of the astraea snails and eating them.

Ms. K;93233 wrote: He's huge! He bulldozes through my fuge and is always rearranging rocks. I know I've seen him move rocks that weigh a couple of pounds. He picks them up, stands them on end, and flips them over. I DID have some snails in my fuge, but I kept hearing noises. One day I discovered that the noises were Atilla cracking open all of the astraea snails and eating them.
:eek:

Wow...That thing is a beast...If you ever choose to eat him, let me know..I can bring some butter..j/k

Killjoy alert!!!!!!!

Why do you guys put predatory animals in your fuge? Fuge=Refugium=safe haven. I guess to each, their own.

Well, he doesn't exactly eat my pods, so I don't mind him being in there.

Im sorry, I wasnt directing that comment at anyone in particular. If the function of your fuge is to grow pods, then he'd probably be fine. But why have him? Hell only prohibit you from putting anything else in (like snails or shrimp, or whatever). I just dont understand why people try to make they refugium a mini display tank- with fish, and predators, and so forth. To me, its rather pointless.

But as I said, that is just my opinion, and to each, their own.

I wasn't offended at all. I was just giving my answer to the question that you posed. I actually took him because FlyingArmy was trying to find him a home and I has a fuge large enough to accommodate him. Since my fuge is just for growing pods for my mandarin, it wasn't really an issue. Obviously I can't keep snails in there anymore, but I do have some small hermits to clean up after him. The sides just don't get cleaned by snails anymore.

I can't get a good pic of him. At the moment, his den is against the front glass so I can't clean it to get a good pic. He'll move one of these days and I might get a better pic.

tnyga;93103 wrote: DUNGEONESS CRAB.... Dinner!! :) I like em

actually, a http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/bl111097b.htm">stone</a> or rock crab. We used to catch these from time to time in crab traps on the Gulf Coast when we were crabbing for the common blues. Always a treat. The only edible parts of this guy are the claws, so we'd twist one off and release the crab. Within 18 months, there's a new claw.

Mrs K ~ ~ you could have a nice little treat every 18 months!

How could you eat such a beautiful creature......oh that's right with lots of butter!

Ms. K....can't wait to see a picture of Atilla when you get a chance!

flyingarmy;94239 wrote: How could you eat such a beautiful creature......oh that's right with lots of butter!

Ms. K....can't wait to see a picture of Atilla when you get a chance!

And don't forget a beer!

Back