ATO Confusion

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
Hopefully this is a quick one. I hooked up my Tunze Osmolator 3155 to get my ATO up and running and the first time it kicked in it kept on a trickling after reaching the level. The outlet is approx." 12" above the pump so I didn't think gravity would do anything. Thoughts? I can grab a picture or two if needed.

If the pipe is below the water height in the container, it will continue trickling until it reaches equalibrium.

really! I thought it was the height of the pump. So if reservoir and sump are side by side which they have to be in my case (and I'm sure a lot of others) then you are forced to listen to drips of the RO water every time the ATO kicks in?

You could run the ato pipe up to the overflow of the DT. That's what I did to solve this same problem.

fishtank;1075467 wrote: really! I thought it was the height of the pump. So if reservoir and sump are side by side which they have to be in my case (and I'm sure a lot of others) then you are forced to listen to drips of the RO water every time the ATO kicks in?

My reservoir also sits beside the sump. I had to attach it to the top of my stand so that this wouldn't happen, and used a piece of pvc to make sure it goes in the dump.

ok thanks. I might eventually up some PVC on a 45 degree to drip into and eliminate the noise. I will see how noticeable it is. Honestly the whole setup ended up a lot nosier then had hoped for.

ok heres an easy fix.
what you need is a T fitting for the line.
Run the osmolator to the sump strait through, but from the top run another line just up to the back of your tank above the holding tank.

You can affix it any way you want... just make sure it doesn't drop or you'll have water in the floor.

That will keep you from having to worry about some kind of check valve and or syphoning

SnowManSnow;1075510 wrote: ok heres an easy fix.
what you need is a T fitting for the line.
Run the osmolator to the sump strait through, but from the top run another line just up to the back of your tank above the holding tank.

You can affix it any way you want... just make sure it doesn't drop or you'll have water in the floor.

That will keep you from having to worry about some kind of check valve and or syphoning

I like it. That's a good trick to learn.

Great ideas here!

I looped mine up higher around the PVC return line and tied it a tad higher than water level.
The water basically runs straight down the PVC to sump.

Back