ATO Container Type

outdrsyguy1

Market
Reaction score
I have a small space for a make-up water container that I fill using my RO/DI every few days. I have specific dimensions to fit it under the stand (mostly narrow and tall).

I went out and bought a kitchen trash can at target that's about 7 gallons and I was just curious if anyone thought I might have some sort of leaching concern?

I'm open to making one if need be but I don't want to if I don't have to lol.

Thoughts?

Someday, I want to hookup my RO/DI to plumbing but don't have the experience nor am I ready to take on the risk of flood or something if the valve sticks (or other random failure)

Thanks!

If it is marked as "Food Grade" you will be fine. If not, maybe not.

I don't think those BRUTE trash cans are marked as food grade are they? People seem to use those like mad in this hobby. Is that just cause no ones noticed problems or is there something special about their plastic?

I thinking that I got the expensive way on my reservoir water container and make up water container, and that I should expend less on it and use that money towards another stuff and items that I like, an Apex or more Powerheads, in my opinion expend in something reliable and usefull that will give you peace of mind with no problems with floods. A controller with ATO and leak detector will cost some money, but still some options for detecting a leak and keep you RO water top on your container with out risking on floods.

I personally found a plastic jerry can (says right on it BPA free) at Walmart that was designed specifically for water. $9 in the camping section. It's narrow and fit very well in my stand (serious confined space). They aren't in every Walmart. I think they had them online too. Check for Reliance Jerry Can. They are green in color.

To be honest. My top off container is a Home Depot bucket. I am not overly concerned about it.

hmm... that definitely makes my search for a proper container more difficult.
roughly 9" wide, 14" long and 18" tall.

Also means I need to look into my storage container for my ro/di in the closet (~15 gallons)

Back