ATO fresh water container maintenance

dball711

Supporting
Reaction score
How often are folks cleaning ATO containers. I happened to look into one on my softy tank and noticed what looked like mineral oil on the surface. Pulled out the pump and it had a slime like coating on it. I was using carboy's for ATO containers but have now decided they need to be cleaned monthly. I'm switching to 5g salt mix buckets that can be sealed and easily swapped out for a monthly or bi-monthly cleaning.

Hey Dave it happens that I have a little leak on my ATO reservoir, it was needing just a little turns of Teflon tape on a valve that it's connected on the bottom, it's just an eshopps reservoir, but I've found the same slim couture on the bottom, what I've heard it's that it's some sort of bacteria that it grows in water with out minerals, can't disagree with it nor conform, my ATO reservoir is blue in color and the stand where it's located is all confined and no light penetrate on it.
On another note, I've left a jug on rodi water expose to the sun .. after a couple days that water will taste like ughh, and it will be completely slimy.

Bacterial film. It's no biggie. You should wash out the container periodically and the slime should wipe away.

You can use baking soda if you need an abrasive.

Jenn

Back