ATO Malfunction Drove Down my Salinity

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I neglected to clean the sensor on my Tunze ATO and it malfunctioned at some point this week. I normally keep my salinity at 1.024, it was 1.022 after my water change last night, meaning it was probably a little lower.

<span style="color: Red;">How slowly would you raise it back up to 1.024?</span> If I do it naturally through water changes it could take several weeks. I have one coral that closed up, we call it a Glove but I'm not really sure what it is, it looks like a cross between Zinia (SP?) and a Pally. It has started to open back up. Everything else seems OK.

Add saltwater to your ato, same proportion that was mistakenly added.

You can add a cup of salt to your sump twice a day, that's how I do it.
Not in the return section of course.

The best method would be to increase the salinity level in your water changes, making sure your raise it slowly. Their is a lot of chemical processes that happen when mixing salt that you probably dont want to expose your coral or fish to Until it's fully mixed. Imho

Camellia;1018134 wrote: You can add a cup of salt to your sump twice a day, that's how I do it.
Not in the return section of course.

I would be careful doing that. An higher mix at water changes or topping off with salt water would be my preferred method.

rdnelson99;1018139 wrote: I would be careful doing that. An higher mix at water changes or topping off with salt water would be my preferred method.

Hey all the "Old Timers" do this, that's who I got it from you newbie :)

Opps, you've been around longer than me *_*

Camellia;1018143 wrote: Hey all the "Old Timers" do this, that's who I got it from you newbie :)

Opps, you've been around longer than me *_*

I am round alright. LOL. But yes I am a newbie.

I spiked my mixing tank a bit and drove the salinity to 1.028 then added 1/2 gallon to my sump. That slightly increased my salinity and will kepp my ATO from kicking on for a bit. Hopefully the evaporation will increase it a bit more. I'll handle the rest with water changes.

Needless to say the Tunze ATO is a great product but the sensor must be cleaned. My was running 12-13 months when this happened.

DawgFace;1018132 wrote: Add saltwater to your ato, same proportion that was mistakenly added.

This

Bassett22;1018124 wrote: Top off with salt water at your target SG. It will raise very slowly. If you do water changes, go with your target sg, it will get there quicky and be fine.

This

Bassett22;1018124 wrote: Top off with salt water at your target SG. It will raise very slowly. If you do water changes, go with your target sg, it will get there quicky and be fine.
This is good advice , I've had the same misfortune when a large snail got in my sump and decided to clean the float switch but mine was considerably lower I think you will be ok to do as above posted and top off with sw

+1 This is what I would do (I have done several times). If you dump sallt into the sump you will kill good bacteria and pods, with that big of salinity change in that small of space.

Topoff with SW. It's not a huge swing. Check your alk, that could be why the glove is mad. Most other stuff shouldn't even be bothered by it, it's still within a reasonable range.

The adding salt to the sump is NOT a good suggestion (Sorry, Deb)... full disclosure, I've done it... on a 300+gallon system, but I'd never suggest anyone else do it. Do as I say, not as I do in this instance ;)

Jenn

Back