ATO Questions

reefnoob019

Market
Reaction score
So my plan is to create a ATO for my 20 long, really I just wanna do it so I know how to make one later on for a larger tank, multiple tanks, etc. So I was thinking about having:
1 Float valve sitting inside the 20 long
Use a Aqua lifter that will be connected to a 10 gallon tank underneath with water sitting in it ready to be transferred.

Basically this is all I got, I dont know how to make the wiring set up to where when the float valve hits a certain point it turns on the aqua lifter to pull water out of the 10 gallon system to the 20 long... Please help!

Do you have an aquarium controller like reefkeeper or apex?

If not you can use a float valve from http://autotopoff.com/">http://autotopoff.com/</a> (I have heard great things of this company and know someone that currently using this with great success)

Basically you connect the float valve to the sump at the level you want the water to stay.
Plug a aqualifter or power head into the plug on the power cord connect to the ato from the website.
Then plug that power cord from the ato into the wall outlet.

Once the float valve is in the open position, it hits a switch to turn the power on to the aqualifter/powerhead. The aqualifter/powerhead will then fill the sump to the set level. Once set level is achieved it will turn off the pump until evaporation causes the valve to hit the switch again.

Pretty simple.

If you have an aquarium controller like Reefkeeper or Apex it gets more complicated but it is much more secure. You can use multiple switches as backups in case #1 switch fails. OR if you use an additive in your ATO water, the controller has probes to indicate if something is out of wack, it will shut off the pump and alert you there is a problem.

good luck.

JBJ's are pretty cheap and actually great. just plug your pump in and go.

I believe you are talking about a float switch rather than a float valve. The difference is significant because the switch acts like a relay and turns the pump on. A float valve is like what is in your toilet (no electricity).

A simple diy ato would require a float switch, extension chord, pump, reservoir, and some tubing. You can find many examples on YouTube. Just search for ATO.

Word of caution, if you use a float switch without a relay and low voltage power source, you will have 120 volts in very close proximity to the water. Yes, a submersible pump is 120 volts but Underwriters Laboratory test all of them to be sure they are safe for that application. If you do a DIY and run 120 volts through the float switch you risk electrocution of your livestock and/or people.

I am currently building my own DIY Top Off but (assuming it works) I am using an old 9 volt DC power supply from a calculator to run through my magnetic switches which will activate a relay that switches the 120 volts to the pump. In addition, the magnetic switches will be mounted external to the tank. The float mechanism will be a magnet attached to a rubber stopper that floats inside of a piece of PVC pipe. That way, no electrical device is in contact with the water itself.

Seems simpler when you have a float switch!! Ill definitely look into it~ Thanks for all the feedback!

rdnelson: I plan to use a aqua lifter, and I see what you mean about high voltages being so close to your tank and if its connected to these magnetic switches you are saying that there is a chance, if done wrong, that the volts could be sent to the tank instead?? Do you have any pics of your set up? I wish I was good at drafting or knew how to make a model of what Im attempting to do to show everyone! Sorry about all the questions

I haven't put it together yet but I have a schematic drawn up. I just need to tweak it a bit. I may get it built this weekend. I will post some picks if I can.

The plan I am going to go with will take a 120 standard duplex receptacle. One half of it will be hot all the time and a 9 volt DC transformer like any calculator uses will plug into it. The other side of the outlet will be fed through a relay. The 9 volt DC will feed the magnetic switches that hang next to the sump but up against the glass. These switches will control the relay that will switch the receptacle. The aqualifter will plug into the switched portion of the receptacle.

This will have three magnetic switches. The lowest one will kit the pump on. The middle one will turn the pump off. Using two allows me to put a bit of a buffer in it so it doesn't continually turn the pump on and off. The third magnetic switch will kill all 9 Volt power feeding the system as a safety should the floating magnet get hung up. This will keep from overflowing the tank or diluting the salinity too far.

I will do a build thread with lots of pictures and include the schematic.

no probles with mine.

have you read this?

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64998">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64998</a>

if you use contacts your coil voltage has to be the same as your supply. on the cheap 12vdc and a off road 30amp relay works great. if you have any question just ask.

ReefNoob019, if you are interested, I have started a new thread documenting the one I am building. It is located at
showthread.php

Thanks all for the great info I will look over both threads and will have more questions Im sure!! Thanks again!!

So I just looked over the two threads and I have a better grasp on things but Im still really confused, it will probably be one of those things where I will get it once I get my hands on it and learn hands on lol

an automotive relay a They have a standard numbering system that goes a little like this:

#85 & #86 run through the coil in the relay (one connected to ground, one to "signal", doesn't matter which)
#87a is the resting positon (usually not connected to anything)
#30 is what gets contacted when the relay energizes (connected to +12V)
#87 is what contacts #30 when the relay energizes (it is the output)

relaywire.jpg
alt="" />

eagle9252;724153 wrote: no probles with mine.

have you read this?

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64998">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64998</a>

if you use contacts your coil voltage has to be the same as your supply. on the cheap 12vdc and a off road 30amp relay works great. if you have any question just ask.[/QUOTE]

Back