ATO Recommendations

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I've managed to get by without one on my 6 month old 90 gallon tank because I literally became a master at knowing how much RO/DI to add, and it was winter.

I switched to a better sump and I am now seeing much more evaporation, and it is warming up outside so I need to get an ATO.

I like simple and Hydor has a simple model that is affordable but it has bad reviews.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a reliable brand that will not break the bank?

Not necessarily cheap, but very reliable and accurate, is the Tunze Osmolator ATO. I have used these since I first got into reefing, and they work very well.

You don't necessarily have to buy an Osmolator, but you are very smart to research the different types. It is not a part to cheap out on, whatever brand you end up with.

I'll be honest, I'm terrified of them. I can manage manually for now but really want something in place for a while before the summer. I'm terrified of having my toes in the sand and the neighbors daughter calling to say that my return pump sounds funny or the carpet is wet.

As it is I am swinging by salinity a bit so I'll be purchasing something.

on my 90, I have a 5 gallon container feeding a gravity fed system to a float switch...so, no pumps, no electric, nothing...and if the float switch fails (none since 1995), it's only 3-4 gallons ro/di water max...(this would not work well for a 300 gallon tank, of course!)

I have been running an ATO from avast for a little over a year. It has a pressure switch and a float valve for redundancy. You can also hook it up to an apex through a breakout box if you wanted to.

Avast marine pressure sensitive ato. I have one for both my personal aquarium and the one I have set for school.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Acroholic;942538 wrote: Not necessarily cheap, but very reliable and accurate, is the Tunze Osmolator ATO. I have used these since I first got into reefing, and they work very well.

You don't necessarily have to buy an Osmolator, but you are very smart to research the different types. It is not a part to cheap out on, whatever brand you end up with.

I use the Osmolator, and I love it. I highly recommend this one.

JeffMuse;942599 wrote: I use the Osmolator, and I love it. I highly recommend this one.

same here, love my osmolator and have been using it for years. I've had 3 of the jbj and all 3 have failed me in the past. Osmolators hasn't let me down yet.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

I use a JBJ but I will say I did have 1 float stop working... So I am running off 1 switch now.. But has worked other wise for the past 8 years.

I think I'm going to go with the Tunze. What is the best way to back sure a "back syphon" does not happen? I've seen that phrase pop up as I've been reading about different systems.

rk4435;942615 wrote: I think I'm going to go with the Tunze. What is the best way to back sure a "back syphon" does not happen? I've seen that phrase pop up as I've been reading about different systems.

Put an air check valve inline.

Back