ATO reservoir size

Eric_n_Ga

Reaction score
75 gallon tank

Will have RO plumbed into top off tank with float . 100gpd unit

Realistically how many gallons do I really need ? 2.5 , 5,10

5 Gallon buckets have always been plenty for my 72 w/10 sump and my 60 w/15 sump. With float valve each probably holds 4.

I use 5 gal containers on my 50 cube, they last about a week. If you're plumbing an RO unit to it, then any of the ones you listed should work. If it were me, I'd try to go as big as I could that would fit in the space in case you needed the extra water for something else (emergency saltwater mixing or something).

I have a 5 gallon on my 90 and 120. In between water bi weekly water change I never have to refill them more than 2 times.

I use a 5g bucket wit a float valve that feed the ATO's on my 80g & 60g. Bucket never has more than maybe 2g of water.

If I could do it all over, I'd go with a 10G. My 90/29 goes through about a gallon a day right now.

Space is the concern. I can fit a 10 gallon, or a 2.5 gallon ....and more stuff . I keep water on hand , and just figured why hold 10 gallons of water in the stand for no reason...

I bought a 15 gal aquarium which will have a plastic cover. At ~110-120 gals total system volume, I’m hoping to get 10-15 days per fill.

The reason for a bigger container is to refill less often, if it's filled automatically I see no reason for the container to hold more than a day or two's usage.

Space is the concern. I can fit a 10 gallon, or a 2.5 gallon ....and more stuff . I keep water on hand , and just figured why hold 10 gallons of water in the stand for no reason...
The reason is if you go ot if town for a long weekend. 2.5 gallons will be gone quick. I suppose if it autofills, you'd be ok but at that point why even have the container?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

The reason is if you go ot if town for a long weekend. 2.5 gallons will be gone quick. I suppose if it autofills, you'd be ok but at that point why even have the container?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I have two that auto-fill from the RODI which is in the basement, the reason for the containers is so the tiny ATO pumps don't have to pump long vertical distances. I believe the pumps will last a lot longer (and I trust them more) if they don't have to work so hard, let house water pressure do the heavy lifting.

Back