Attaching Live Rock to Back Glass

SaltedCarmel

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I had an idea recently to increase the amount of live rock in an interesting way by attaching some to the back glass of my tank. Does anyone have any experience with doing this?

From the research I’ve done, I’ve seen it done with magnets, glue, epoxy, etc. I’d be curious to hear how you think it would be best accomplished with minimal stress to the tank’s structure.

Can you just lean it against the back of the tank. I’d avoid anything permanent like gluing because I’m sure that at some point you’ll need to move it.

Can you just lean it against the back of the tank. I’d avoid anything permanent like gluing because I’m sure that at some point you’ll need to move it.
My idea was to have it to appear “floating”. I have a nano tank so I was thinking it would be a good way to mimic overhangs common in reefs within the limited space. I can try to add a photo to better illustrate that once I’m home.

As far as I know there are not any off the shelf magnets I would trust to put inside the rocks long term.
I actually traded a few frags for mine so it wasn't a huge expense but over the years it has been extremely handy.
I think mine was one of the original generations and it has held up great.
PXL_20230723_212614051.MP.jpg

As far as I know there are not any off the shelf magnets I would trust to put inside the rocks long term.
I actually traded a few frags for mine so it wasn't a huge expense but over the years it has been extremely handy.
I think mine was one of the original generations and it has held up great.
View attachment 78541

I actually like the look of that a lot. Makes for a much more realistic looking drag rack too. I think there are some places that sell reef-safe magnets but I’m not sure how much weight they can support.

The original version of the frag rack was better and can hold a lot of weight. Nowadays frag racks are more prone to rust

View attachment 78548
Hmm was seriously considering picking one up off the site but I wouldn’t want to do that if they’re prone to rusting. I’ve seen some other posts on R2R about using ceramic magnets as they don’t rust and just using glue or epoxy to attach it to smaller live rocks.

I added one of the Tunze frag rocks (this is the large) to my overflow to add some more area. I liked the natural look and strong magnets, they also have a nano size - will look a lot better once encrusted or colored up i think. A little pricey but the other options just looked too unnatural to me. I'm digging it so far

Attachments

• 20230724_191235.jpg
    20230724_191235.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 12
Attaches to the back wall, the magnets are sealed inside of acrylic and crazy powerful.

Attaches to the back wall, the magnets are sealed inside of acrylic and crazy powerful.

The video in your link shows them attaching the mounts with just silicone. Are you sure that is the right product? It might just be a new generation.

Yes, I’m positive, it took 3 of us to separate the magnet that made contact during shipping.

Back