Attack of the anemones

york1

Supporting
Reaction score
Back story. I have had 3 rainbow bubble tip nems in my 90g bow front. The biggest one i got about a year ago from a club member.(no i can not remember her name/nick) This nem was about 4-5 inches when wide open. It has done nothing but grow since i got it.It was big, like keep children and small animals away from it big. I have never had a nem split. Well late last week it split into 3 nems. Tonight I was doing some maintenance on my big tanks sump and look up at the 90. One of the small bubble tips had moved a few inches up the rock. I get up and take a look and sure enough one of the little ones split. If this keeps up my zoa dominated tank is going to be a rainbow bubble tip dominated tank.

This happened to my best friend's tank, he started with 1, I helped him pull out 27 several months ago. He kept 2 and now has about 6 again. Some strains just like to split.

Hell no nems got to go. They will kill everything. I would get another tank just for them. Fyi i got a rainbow bubble tip black widow and a rose bubble tip. Rainbow killed 1 of my black windows

This happened to my best friend's tank, he started with 1, I helped him pull out 27 several months ago. He kept 2 and now has about 6 again. Some strains just like to split.
They love to split when you do big water changes too.

The splits are still moving round. I am hoping the settle on rocks i can remove and then get them isolated

Haha... I completely agree. Lots of good advice. And that’s why I specifically set up my nem tank. Anytime one of mine splits, I have a place for it that keeps my coral safe.

The tank is finally up and going! And soon, it’ll be converted to a full clown harem tank with a mix of designer occy’s.

An addendum; if you’re trying to combine unrelated BTAs, beware of allelopathy. Very often, when you put multiple different nems in the same tank, they will release chemicals that will kill one or both quickly (within hours up to a couple days). I’ve seen friends go through 30 sunbursts because their rainbow BTAs kept killing them.

Well its starting again.Just a couple of hours ago @Ira January was here picking up some frags. I was showing him all the nems etc... Well I just went to feed that tank and guess what.... Yes another freakin anemone. I gues i am gonna spend my long weekend trying to get some of them out.

Back