ATTN locust grove/McDonough area

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
Had trouble with the power lately? Seemed to have a REALLY high bill in the winter and have gas heat?

GA power line technician told me a few weeks ago that there were some big problems down here.

The power had gone out ALOT, and for no reason. 5-6am, cold out...boom power goes out. Same thing happened in the summer as well.

The tech told me that GA power never upgraded the grid, and that with all the new construction around here, there wasn't enough juice....and that when people's AC's were all kicking on, or they electric heat would kick on, it would blow a main fuse.

So I take this with a grain of salt, go home and measure the voltage at the breaker box....interestingly enough..it's between 100-103 volts on my fluke.

Now, I'm no expert, but when the voltage is low, your appliances suck down more amperage, which costs YOU money.

My usage last jan was 1100Kwh, with the large frag tank and my 75. With no additions to the house, this past summer I saw the power bill go from 250 to almost 375. Useage was up as well. THIS Jan I used almost 2200Kwh......OK, what gives? Well, the low voltage gives. Jan wasn't even that cold, and I have gas heat, so how in the world would my usage have DOUBLED.....

Fact is, GA power wasn't living up to their end. I've called a few times, and it looks like they are going to average out my bill for the last few months on 08 with the useage in 07 since there is a 600-1000kwh "extra" useage with no additional devices being used. I can see a few 100 maybe with being careless about lights, or taking a long shower (electric hot water), but not 1000.

GA power isn't going to come to you and tell you this info, but I suggest you call and complain if you've seen the same useage increases I have. 100-105 volts is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Now that it's been fixed, I've got 122 at the outlet (transformer is right outside :D )

Just a FWIW post.

how/where do I measure my voltage? can I use a traditional multimeter?

and thanks for the heads up

It's fixed now, but it wouldn't hurt to check it anyway in your area.

Multimeter is your friend.

I measured mine at the panel, but if don't know how or where to measure it, I'd strongly advise against trying.

TAftonomos;283899 wrote: but if don't know how or where to measure it, I'd strongly advise against trying.

good advice, no scaring for me.

I'll have the family electrician (dad) come check it out one of these days.

Very good post. Thanks for that info. I dont live there but I did learn something new. I guess I thought the power coming out of my wall was magical and couldnt ever be wack.

Back