Aussie Elegance hardiness

sree

Supporting
Reaction score
All,

I am thinking of adding an aussie elegance.. Are they hardy? I heard the Indo ones have some sort of brown disease. Do you recommend an aqua cultured one instead?

I would always recommend an aqua cultured variety if possible. Typically they're got a proven track record of doing well in the home aquarium. In my experience they're pretty hardy; I've always put them in the same group as Duncans. Things can go wrong but with a mature system they always seem to do pretty well. There is (was?) a huge problem with a disease (Elegance Coral Syndrome) that effected Elagance corals from the Indonesia but the Aussie line don't have any where near the risk for that particular issue. Brown Jelly Disease is always a risk for any LPS and I don't believe the aussie elegance species are any more or less susceptible to it.

From what I had read Aussie Elegance corals are fairly hardy as long as you get one that wasn't cut. However I did not know that beforehand and bought one that was cut from a larger piece. It has been doing very well in my tank. I am very much a beginner in the reef keeping side of things so I would consider Aussie Elegance corals easy

I have two aussie’s and I find them fairly easy myself, but my parameters are stable since it is a SPS dominant tank. Also, I added them months after my tank was stable, so I’m sure that plays a big part.

Thank you so much for the responses. I will post my findings with aussie elegance.

My tank is about 10 years old. I haven't lost any fish or corals and everything in the tank grows like crazy. I am thinking of getting one from Divers Den as well.

Back