Auto feeder over rerun pump

ecoreefguy

Supporting
Reaction score
Has anyone done this for a prolonged period of time? Has it affect your nutrient levels much or at all compare to usual feeding?

It depends on how you want it. It also depends on what your return feeds. If your return feeds your fuge then you'll have some food in the fuge, and if you don't have enough animals in there to eat it up fast, there goes your nutrient level. I personally have mine feed directly into the tank and turn off my return and skimmer for about 10 minutes. My fishes eat their food within a few secs but I let it stay off longer so my smaller fishes can have a meal after the bigger guys are somewhat fool. But then again its all a personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Why put it over your return pump? I use the trusty old eheim in all my tanks.
Wantes to put an AFS over my return with a funnel. Wanted to keep the the top of the tank clean. I think a lot more people are starting to this , just wanted to see if anyone has first hand experience.

I've had a Neptune AFS mounted on my sump, directly above my return pump for about 6 months now. I have the pump ramp up a bit when the food drops, just to make sure it all gets sucked in and blown into the tank. Works perfectly fine. Supplement frozen food most days as well, also by dropping in the return chamber. It gets blown into the tank bit by bit as it thaws, I think it gives the fish a little enrichment vs just dropping a cube in the display.

Back