Auto shut off will not stop

miami dolfan

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 4 stage filter that I bought and it did not come with an auto shutoff valve so I bought one. I installed it and I thought it was working fine until 3 days later when I found my sump about to run over. I exchanged the valve thinking it was defective but the new one did the same thing. I tried changing the top off float in the sump and got the same result. I did speak to a water filter guy and he said that in order for the valve to work it has to have a certain water pressure. I haven't changed the connections so I don't think that would be the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I've tried changing it with another one but I got the same result. It is weird though, that when the water is going through the filter it makes a rattling noise as it is working. The water tubes shake.

Have you checked your water pressure? My house regulator failed and it was up over 100psi vs 55 and my float valve leaked.

Miami Dolfan;1108389 wrote: Yes...the last hose goes into the sump connected to the flotation top off.

Reason I asked, I heard of horror stories of failure in valve, resulting in converting your saltwater tank to fresh.With alot of water on floor. Something to consider.

Thank you all for the responses. I don't know what else to do. I can't even go on vacation without having to call the dog sitter every day to check on it so I don't come back to a flooded house.

kwajtrader;1108390 wrote: Have you checked your water pressure? My house regulator failed and it was up over 100psi vs 55 and my float valve leaked.
I don't think it could be excessive pressure because I had an emergency shut off valve like the ones at home depot that are just plug in and done and I had to change it to a brass one because it was always leaking at the connections. The only thing that I did notice was that the brass valve I bought is for natural gas which has a smaller opening than the one for water. I believed this to be the problem, but it couldn't be because the one for water that was installed before this one was leaking as well.

I'm not sure if this will work for your setup. When I had a smaller 6.4g gravity fed ATO and I was going on vacation I would lower my salinity several weeks before leaving to 1.024. Then the day I left I would over fill my return section as high as possible with fresh salt water (1.015). That would allow me an extra couple of days before my ATO started emptying. I would invest in a $70 JBJ ATO and pickup a 10g or 20g tank from petco and a maxijet pump (I have plenty of maxijets if you need one).

This is what worked for me. Went to Wal-Mart bought a 18 gal tub. Placed a mj 1200 with hose to sump Filled with 15 gal of ro/di water.
Relied on ato switch in sump.I have left for 12 days with no problem.

Miami Dolfan;1108416 wrote: I don't think it could be excessive pressure because I had an emergency shut off valve like the ones at home depot that are just plug in and done and I had to change it to a brass one because it was always leaking at the connections. The only thing that I did notice was that the brass valve I bought is for natural gas which has a smaller opening than the one for water. I believed this to be the problem, but it couldn't be because the one for water that was installed before this one was leaking as well.

Home Depot has a 3/4" pressure gauge for less than $10. Just hook it to your outside hose bib. It's a cheap and easy test. I'm have one you can borrow, but I'm pretty far from Auburn.

Thanks again, guys, for the responses. I have spoken to 3 different water filter vendors and they have all basically told me that the shut off valves are meant to work only with RO systems. I didn't think it wouldn't work with just any water filter.

I'm a water filter vendor too :)

And I concur. Usually the ASV 'failure' is due to low water pressure, or incorrect installation. They are designed to respond to pressure changes, so if the water pressure is too low, they just don't engage.

Jenn

Hi Jenn. Thanks for the info. Do these shut off valves only work on reverse osmosis filters? That is what I have been told by 2 different water filter vendors.

That is the only application I have ever seen them used for.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Back