Auto Top Off Reservoir

miktrav

Market
Reaction score
Can you guys tell me what you used as reservoirs for your auto top offs? I just bought a Tunze unit and want to set it up on my tank upgrade but I don't just want to use a 5 gallon bucket. I want something that will look relatively decent if I open the cabinet. My wife just about has a fit about the condition under my current tank each time I open it to get out the supplies to clean the tank.

This is what I use...got it at Walmart.

Reliance-7-Gallon-Aqua-Tainer-Water-Container.html

I use clear plastic containers from the container store. Easy to see the water level. Like these. Isn't it a pain to see the water level in those opaque totes?

storageBoxes

^^^This...I refill mine on the fourth day. I like this particular one because it has a handle on it, and makes it easier to carry it to/from the garage where my RO barrel is.

I have two...one is an 18 g trash can purchased from Target for around $15 and the other is a Reliance 6g Jerry Can purchased from Walmart (camping section) for $10. It really depends on how much space you have.

I also use the 7 gallon container from Walmart. Its in the camping section usually. I like it because it already has a hole in the top you can run the hoses through.

porpoiseaquatics;958343 wrote: It really depends on how much space you have.

This. I use a 5g jug you can get from a LFS but once I get my ca reactor going I will have a lot less space. I'm trying to find something with a thin profile or a shorter container and build a stand over top for the reactor to sit on.

I used a glass baffle and incorporated my reservoir with my sump. I have a 6gallon compartment that's just to water.

958380=54079-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401038998.312123.jpg
>
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401038998.312123.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

The far right of sump is the reservoir.

I had an acrylic container made to hold my top-off water, as well as my dosing liquids.
Nice and clean. I installed float switches that are hooked into my Apex to send emails when levels get below a certain point.

GHBrewe,

Where did you have the container made and how much does it hold in each compartment? What you describe sounds like what I am looking for. Right now, to get started, I am going to be using a Walmart pet food storage container for when I do my initial setup.

Thanks,

Michael

ghbrewer;958454 wrote: I had an acrylic container made to hold my top-off water, as well as my dosing liquids.
Nice and clean. I installed float switches that are hooked into my Apex to send emails when levels get below a certain point.

Check out this build thread where I describe it: http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89462">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89462</a>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I would be afraid that there might be some sort of a leak to allow my top off water to mix with the main sump water. Have you ever had any problems with that setup?

JDW;958380 wrote:
>
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401038998.312123.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

The far right of sump is the reservoir.

Nope, no issues... The only issue I had at 1 time was when i had my fuge in the sump, my water level was too high and the water entering the fuge would splash into reservoir. Since I have removed the fuge, I do not have the problem anymore. I do plan on cutting the baffle down and making a lid for the compartment though.

Just make sure you leak test the compartment good.

I use those thin profile clear dog food container. Fits nicely under the tank. Just made a small hole in the top for my water line. Holds about 5 gallons. Add to it every 2-3 days

Back