Auto Top-off systems

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
I've been having issues with my large frag tank's top off lately, and have damaged some of my RO equipment.

I've got the RO unit run directly to the 200g sump, with a float valve to turn the RO on/off. THere is a water pressure activated shut off switch on the RO unit.

Whats happened is that the float valve in the sump (which I clean all the time) actually pulses up and down because of the water surface in the sump (lots of flow), turning the RO unit on/off, which has cause it to vibrate, and eventually crack a housing.

Time to upgrade!

On my 75, I have a dual float, dual solenoid system hooked directly to the RO unit. No containers, no hauling water, and 2 solenoids worth of safety connected to 2 float switches.

Problem is, it's kinda expensive (~$200). I'm looking for a slightly cheaper solution to the problem, that will still work.

Ideas?

FWIW, I would NEVER plumb an RO directly yo the system, without intensive (triplicate or more) failsafes. Too much to lose when 1 solenoids or float valve fails.

Honestly, I like the JBJ ATO. I always look into upgarding, but the darned thing works so well for me, I dont ever have the need.

I just don't have room for the large container of water next to the 75, and after hauling water up and down from the basement for over a year, I'm not gonna do it anymore :) I figure the double float/double solenoids will be fine on the 75.

Now, on the large frag tank, I DO have room for a 35+ gallon container next to the sump, so perhaps a JBO or something similar with a small pump would be OK for that?

I would use a small Toms Aqualifter or equivalent to top off. Even if something goes wrong with the Top-Off controller its slow. I use a Toms and aqualifter and Reef Fanatic dual float on my 160 and I have never had a problem(fingers crossed)!

Back