auto top off

roundman

Market
Reaction score
Wife just informed me we are going to Hilton Head for Labor day. Well I do not have an auto top off so what is the least expensive pump I can get that will work with a timer to add water once a day.

Thanks

You can try a Aqualifter. They can be found from $10-20 depending on where you go. The pump pushes about 3-4GPH so if you really want to risk going the timer route and want an inexpensive pump it will do the job.

I recommend that you get a regular ATO with a float switch though. Check out
a> for some inexpensive but reliable ATO units.

I would go with an aqualifter pump. And forget the timer- use a float valve.

Ah- not fast enough. And yeah, autotopoff.com was where I got my float valve.

aquabuys sells one but its probably out of your price range but the best by far

I've been afraid to post this question, out of fear of being laughed at, but.....

My Christmas tree stand came with an auto-top off mechanism that was basically a jug of water hung upside down, and a tub that went half way down the resevoir in the stand. When the water level dropped in the stand the jug would leak enough water to fill it back up, but air pressure kept it from over filling the stand.

My question is, why wouldn't a low tech method like this work on a fish tank?

I have a 5g airtight jug with a lid, I even have a shelf above my sump, why couldn't I drill a hole in the lid, silicone a tube into the jug, and run it from the jug to the sump. Position the end of the tube to the top of the prefered water level of the sump, then just turn the jug on its side?

Don't everyone laugh at once....

Dakota9;74405 wrote: I've been afraid to post this question, out of fear of being laughed at, but.....

My Christmas tree stand came with an auto-top off mechanism that was basically a jug of water hung upside down, and a tub that went half way down the resevoir in the stand. When the water level dropped in the stand the jug would leak enough water to fill it back up, but air pressure kept it from over filling the stand.

My question is, why wouldn't a low tech method like this work on a fish tank?

I have a 5g airtight jug with a lid, I even have a shelf above my sump, why couldn't I drill a hole in the lid, silicone a tube into the jug, and run it from the jug to the sump. Position the end of the tube to the top of the prefered water level of the sump, then just turn the jug on its side?

Don't everyone laugh at once....

I've seen the same idea with 2L coke bottles refilling a dog's water bowl. This could work to keep your water height in check, but you're forgetting one important thing.

The freshwater in the jug and the saltwater in the sump will come to a salinity equilibrium. This will drop your salinity at first and slowly creep back up to its original value as the water evaporates, leading to periodic salinity swings.

Autotopoff.com is what I use and it works. Just make sure you follow the instructions. I put the line to sump above the water line to make sure it did not level the sump and top off water container. Makes life much easier. I researched them all and its was the best for the money.

yea, I want to use float switch's but time is my prob. I travel all week anyway and didn't have time to order in what I needed without extra shipping costs etc. I got an aqua lifter from Sam and a timer that will do minutes so the pump is on for 5 min a day and that will work for the 4-5 days that is needed.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

It doesn't seem too scary to me, as long as you're confident in the reliability of the timer. You could also adjust the height of the fresh water supply line, and in doing so adjust the flow rate of water being delivered to sort of fine-tune your top-off system. Also, be sure not to set your top-off reservoir higher than your sump. Aqualifters cannot handle much back pressure.

Seems like every few months the topic of auto top off comes up. Well, it's time again! I'm looking at ordering the Double Switch Sump mount from Autotopoff.com
Just wanted to make sure I undestood how the double works vs. the single switch. The website sez:
"The controller powers a device when the lower float switch senses that your tank water level is low. The device will be turned off when the lower float switch senses your water level is high. The top switch is a backup in case the bottom switch fails"
I assume this means that the second (higher) switch would kill power if the water level ever raised above that level and triggered the switch preventing the pump from supplying too much RO. Is that right??

Thanks!
Bob Z

Yep. Sounds like they're wired in series so both switches have to show a low water condition before the pump will run. In the event that the lower one jams, the water will raise till it lifts the upper one, shutting off power to the pump.

Thanks, I did find the explanation in the FAQ section of the site. Just wanted to check. Has anyone been using this switch or had any problems with them failing?
Bob

Has anyone tried one of these in a Bio or Nanocube. I'm wondering if it would fit in one of the back compartments and allow me to keep the topoff water in the cabnet under the tank?

Back