Auto water change?

bruce 1

Market
Reaction score
How could I set up an auto water change by just pushing a button on my RKE?

What would I need? 2 pumps, 2 Float switches?

would I just need a pump in the sump with a low level float switch to turn it off and a pump in a tank of pre-made saltwater that would turn on when the pump in the sump turns off. then a float switch to turn that pump off when the sump is full?

Or is there a better way?

Tagging along. I think Acro does auto WC's via the RKE so he can chime in.

I don't do saltwater auto changes. I have an auto changer set up on each of my large FW tanks. I just mix and change like everyone else on my reef tanks.

Hmmm... not sure, but could you setup a feed mode to do this on an Apex? Turn off some pumps, turn on others, etc.?

The programming would be simple and could be done multiple ways for RKE. not sure about how to set what switch where. Are you planning on just changing water from the sump or do you need ot pull from the DT?

IMO.. you dont' want to automate something like that..

if you're automating parts of it to make it easier, that's one thing.. (my apex has a feed mode set to turn off all the return pump, chiller, heater and metal halides and will turn on the refugium/under cabinet light so I can see what I'm doing. it will keep everything off for 30 minutes, then return everything to "auto" mode)

anomaly;636508 wrote: I use a masterflex pump to automate my water changes. I only do around 2 gallons a day.

Have you had any issues r/t the salinity levels slowly creeping up or down?

Rbredding;636477 wrote: IMO.. you dont' want to automate something like that..

if you're automating parts of it to make it easier, that's one thing.. )

I would only do it if I was standing there. I was just thinking that way I would not have to drag out pumps and hoses. Then would test after to make sure. I was not thinking of setting it up to automatically do it every week.
It might be a bad idea. I just thought it would be easier to push one button and stand there and 15 minutes later it be done.

I will have an automatic water change on my next system that will be impossible to flood or change the salinity

grouper therapy;636617 wrote: I will have an automatic water change on my next system that will be impossible to flood or change the salinity

Please do tell! That is what I am asking.

I've been planning out my automated stuff tonight. The design I finally settled on will be a simple push of one button, but I won't make it possible to do it remotely, even though it would be very easy to add that ability. The way I'm doing it will require me to be standing in the equipment room so I can "supervise".

Ok mine is designed for a sump area that is remote or elevated in such a way that an overflow pipe can be installed in the return area of the sump. First the auto top off switch is overridden and an ato event is activated, this insures that the salinity is not affected since the system is at full capacity. Second the return pump is shutdown to create a calm area in the return section. Third a ball valve for gravity feed or a pump is activated for specified time. This is from the mixing reservoir and allows the new water into a adjacent section of the sump. This will raise the level in the return section pushing the old water out the overflow pipe. The baffles between these two sections of the sump can be arranged in a way to minimize if not completely prevent the new water from leaving the system. If the valve or the pump from the mixing tank sticks open no bid deal except a larger water change is done from what you were targeting ,this is assuming that the rodi water is not connected to the mixing tank. I guess it could flood if the drain pipe became clogged but not likely to happen no more so than the overflow from the tank. A second one could be installed.

cr500_af;636698 wrote: I've been planning out my automated stuff tonight. The design I finally settled on will be a simple push of one button, but I won't make it possible to do it remotely, even though it would be very easy to add that ability. The way I'm doing it will require me to be standing in the equipment room so I can "supervise".

Please tell me your way also. Mine will be under supervision also.

Back