AutoCAD for sketching out a new tank

scuba steve

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm working on planning out a new tank and need to draw it and plan it all out before putting it together. I've seen some posts before about people using AutoCAD programs to do this. Anybody have some recommendations on programs or methods for doing this? I thought I remember seeing a google app or something, anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Cool, thanks! That's what I remember seeing before and what I was hoping to use. I'll talk to my boss about buying Sketch-up, but if he doesn't go for it anyone know of any similar free programs? Most important feature for me is to be able to draw out the piping & components.

Scuba Steve;531665 wrote: Cool, thanks! That's what I remember seeing before and what I was hoping to use. I'll talk to my boss about buying Sketch-up, but if he doesn't go for it anyone know of any similar free programs? Most important feature for me is to be able to draw out the piping & components.
Sketchup is free unless you need the pro version :up:

If you want to take a little time to learn the basics of using it you can download a free student/learning version of Surfcam which I use at work. It's 3D machining and manuf. software for running CNC machines. You can ignore the machining aspect of it and just focus on the CAD or drawing portion. It's fairly easy to draw with and is very accurate for dimensions if space is at a premium for you. Here's the link:

http://www.surfware.com/">http://www.surfware.com/</a>

Look on the left hand side for the the Student/learning version for free download. Don't let the machining aspect scare you off, you'd only use it for drawing and checking dimensions.

au01st;531660 wrote: Google Sketchup.

Talk to RedEDGE2k1 and check his build threads.

+1

Dustin is pretty skilled with Sketchup. It's really easy to use, too. I'm horrible with drawing, and even have trouble with Windows Paint, but Sketchup is very user-friendly and even has some tutorials that will help you understand the basics.

AutoCAD has a much steeper learning curve than Google SketchUp, and SketchUp is free, so I would go that route. I have to use AutoCAD at work but still find SketchUp to be more useful for most all applications.

That being said, I learned everything I know about SketchUp just by playing with it. The website used to have tutorial videos on it that were great for newbies, but that was back before Google bought them out so I'm not sure what is still available in the way of tutorial videos. YouTube is bound to have some if nowhere else.

Good luck,
Dustin

RedEDGE2k1;531696 wrote: AutoCAD has a much steeper learning curve than Google SketchUp, and SketchUp is free, so I would go that route. I have to use AutoCAD at work but still find SketchUp to be more useful for most all applications.

Dustin

+1, and AutoCAD would be kinda like using a sledge hammer to drive a tack-IMO

As for AutoCAD vs Sketchup, I feel that way about Visio-Technical. I've done 100 X's as much useful design in a fraction of the time with Visio.

Depending on what you are doing would be the deciding factor of what to use.. For this application Sketchup would be perfect.. Autocad is amazing for tons of other applications.. Just not this one.. :)

Here is a recent example of a stand design I drew for an ARC member, and how useful SketchUp was along the way. Actually, SketchUp is all I used!

Plywood cutout diagrams....
01-4x8PlywoodCutoutDiagram1.jpg
alt="" />

Joinery layout....
JoineryDimensions-SidePanel.jpg
alt="" />

Exploded view of how everything goes together...
ExplodedView-Corner.jpg
alt="" />

And of course, the final "look"...
BuildSequence-Step12.jpg
alt="" />

Also, from another build example -- the SketchUp model is very true to the final product:

111_Model_vs_Actual.jpg
alt="" />

This is a VERY flexible program and is priceless for furniture design, in my opinion.

-Dustin

DrNecropolis;531964 wrote: Depending on what you are doing would be the deciding factor of what to use.. For this application Sketchup would be perfect.. Autocad is amazing for tons of other applications.. Just not this one.. :)

RedEDGE2k1;531975 wrote: +1000

I'm not hatin' on the AutoCAD guy's, it IS an amazing product. Just sayin' it's overkill for a lot of jobs/applications. That's all.

FWIW- The first CAD to G code postprocessor (conversion sustem) for machine tool control I built/used 'back in the day' was built on AutoCAD. A lot of engineers laughed at the 'toy' CAD system I had, til they saw what it could do. Prior to that, I manually pounded out G code from scratch! I was lovin' the AutoCAD! :up:

I use AutoCAD as well, waaaayyy overkill for the occasiona user, not to mention very expensive! Stick with Sketchup, can't beat free!

Any tips on using SketchUp for planning out piping?
I'm getting the tank & components drawn out ok, but struggling a bit with the piping, though I am just getting used to the controls so that may have a lot to do with it.
Anyway, tips appreciated,
Thanks,
Steve

Scuba Steve;532274 wrote: Any tips on using SketchUp for planning out piping?
I'm getting the tank & components drawn out ok, but struggling a bit with the piping, though I am just getting used to the controls so that may have a lot to do with it.
Anyway, tips appreciated,
Thanks,
Steve

Draw your piping layout using the line tool (just the centerline of the pipe, not the whole pipe itself):

DrawPipeCenterline.jpg
alt="" />

After you have all of your pipe centerlines drawn, draw a circle on the end of one of the runs:

DrawPipeCircleonEnd.jpg
alt="" />

Then use the "Follow Me" tool to extrude the circle all along the length of the line (the pipe run). SketchUp will make the corners, turns, bends, etc. automatically as you follow the line:

FollowMe.jpg
alt="" />

-Dustin

For planning & layout purposes, it also helps to color code each run of pipe according to what it's used for. Blue for drain lines, red for return lines, pink for chiller lines, etc.

One more thing, whenever you make an object in SketchUp, always drag your mouse over the full object, right click, and select "Make Group." That way SketchUp knows to keep all the lines & faces associated with this object in a single group....which allows you to hide portions of a model and recall them later. This is very useful when "building" on the computer screen. You draw your first piece, make it a group, then draw your next piece....hide the first piece...make the second piece a group, and unhide the first piece. So on and so on....until you have your entire project drawn. Later, if you need to change something, you change that one piece -- not the whole model.

Hopefully this makes sense...I'm not always the best with words.

Dustin

Thanks Dustin! That really helps alot, I'll get drawing and hopefully I'll can post my results when I'm through, maybe I can get some design vs finished product pics.

Back