Automatic Nitrate Hannah checker

Man thats going to sell out the first 10 mins. I hope they have a good stock of them.

I cannot find any information on this.

I was kinda surprised the range is only 0-5 ppm
I think because it is much more difficult for those of us color challenged to read lower level nitrate color differences- And most mixed reef keepers want those lower but detectable nitrate rates. More buyers for Hannah.

I think because it is much more difficult for those of us color challenged to read lower level nitrate color differences- And most mixed reef keepers want those lower but detectable nitrate rates. More buyers for Hannah.
You can probably dilute the sample to get a readings from 5-10 & 10-50.
Once I get up and running I'll be on this Checker like white on rice!

You can probably dilute the sample to get a readings from 5-10 & 10-50.
Once I get up and running I'll be on this Checker like white on rice!
Sorry to say; but you may be thinking backwards. You don’t dilute to get higher concentrations, you need to ‘concentrate’ the solution.

Edit: Retracted. I see what you were saying! Totally right!

Last edited:
I personally love the precision range.

However, I completely agree it may not be as applicable to current tank trends. If they had made it test up to 10 or 20ppm, it would still be easy for people like to dilute down to the desired ppm.

Edit: haha, “still” could be a pun. Given that we are talking about potentially concentrating the solution to get higher ppm readings.

Sorry to say; but you may be thinking backwards. You don’t dilute to get higher concentrations, you need to ‘concentrate’ the solution.
I was thinking along these lines. You have a known sample of 8ppm. That maxes out the checker at 5. Dilute the sample by half with RODI. Now you get 4ppm, multiply by 2 and you get 8ppm. Same goes for anything above 10. 1 part system water to 9 parts RODI, multiply result by 10.
Do you think that is flawed thinking?

I was thinking along these lines. You have a known sample of 8ppm. That maxes out the checker at 5. Dilute the sample by half with RODI. Now you get 4ppm, multiply by 2 and you get 8ppm. Same goes for anything above 10. 1 part system water to 9 parts RODI, multiply result by 10.
Do you think that is flawed thinking?
This has been done with other checkers on reef2reef and the colorimeter should work if you do this and don’t forget to multiply by your dilution factor.

The first review hit R2R and its not very promising. The process is complicated and time consuming. A test takes upwards of 20min and you must have fresh saltwater on hand to do the dilution which adds another step. Once done it will read 0 to 50ppm.

For the people that don't like the Calcium checker they'll hate this one.

Back