Automation at its best!

wannabeeareefkeeper

Market
Reaction score
Which do you prefer; Android or Iphone for your reef keeping automation? If you have experience using both types of smartphones; I'd like to hear from you. Please post which one you have chosen and why you changed smartphones. If someone is undecided on which way to go; Android or Iphone; which one would you sell me. Now's your the time to shine. Please state if you are using Jellybean, KitKat, etc. or Iphone 4, 5, 5s, 6 etc.

Wannabee

WannabeeaReefKeeper;1002131 wrote: Which do you prefer; Android or Iphone for your reef keeping automation? If you have experience using both types of smartphones; I'd like to hear from you. Please post which one you have chosen and why you changed smartphones. If someone is undecided on which way to go; Android or Iphone; which one would you sell me. Now's your the time to shine. Please state if you are using Jellybean, KitKat, etc. or Iphone 4, 5, 5s, 6 etc.

Wannabee

What do you mean? There really isn't a difference if you are using an app designed by the same company for a unit.

MarquiseO;1002196 wrote: What do you mean? There really isn't a difference if you are using an app designed by the same company for a unit.

My train of thought is related to using a smartphone as a type of controller making adjustments while your away from the house. Is the apps for the two different operating systems identical? Is one O.S. more stable then the other? I know some manufacturers utilize Unix for their operations for that platform seems to be more stable. Well, at least that was the way things were done some years back. Not sure if the manufacturers are still using Unix.

Wannabee

WannabeeaReefKeeper;1002200 wrote: My train of thought is related to using a smartphone as a type of controller making adjustments while your away from the house. Is the apps for the two different operating systems identical? Is one O.S. more stable then the other? I know some manufacturers utilize Unix for their operations for that platform seems to be more stable. Well, at least that was the way things were done some years back. Not sure if the manufacturers are still using Unix.

Wannabee

It depends on the software by the company. Some companies have identical software and work the same on both platforms. Some have buggy software on one platform and ok on the other. Usually iPhone gets the most support.

MarquiseO;1002196 wrote: What do you mean? There really isn't a difference if you are using an app designed by the same company for a unit.

Au contraire, there can be MAJOR differences based upon the device's OS.

The only controller I can address is the Apex.

I started using my Apex with an Iphone 4.
Right off the bat, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED it!

No hanging, no lack of connectivity issues, nothing to speak of.

Then it came time to get a new phone.
I liked what the Android OS had to offer. Namely the widgets. I could check the basic tank status without opening the app. BEAUTIFUL!

But...when opening the Apex app, it was quickly apparent that the IOS and Android were very different. On the Android, there was almost a complete loss of graphing. No history data, etc...

It was almost as if Neptune forgot that there was another major player and then rushed to put out something</em> that would quite the Android masses.

That was before the Apex Fusion came about.

I was sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for Fusion. When it came out, all the differences between the two were washed away.

Fusion is not an app that resides on the phone. It's a cloud based app that's accessed via a web browser. In turn, it does not care what OS you have or what device you are using.

As far as stability goes, it's as stable as your internet connection. If you home connection is up AND your remote access to the internet is good, then it's a 99.999% certainty that you'll have access to your tank controller.

Right now, I have my old Iphone sitting next to the tank. It connects to the tank via the internet so it really has no idea if it's 100's of miles away or just 6 feet.

I also use my son's Kindle Fire from time to time when I'd like to see a larger display. It too has no idea.

And sometimes I'll be sitting in the living room, watching TV or whatever and think that I should check or change something on the tank. I'll grab my Android phone. Again, it too has no idea where the tank is.

Fusion is why all of this works so effortlessly across ALL platforms.

The user interface is exactly the same, regardless. Again, it's a web based thing, not an application thing.

So which one would I sell to WannabeeaReefKeeper?

I'd sell the one he likes best. As far as the Apex/Fusion go, there is absolutely no difference.

If you have the Apex/Fusion and you like the Android, go with the Android based device.
If you like the IOS based devices, then go with that.

At this point, with the Apex/Fusion, it's not a matter of which is best on which phone. It's a matter of which phone do you like best.

Y-Not;1002233 wrote: Au contraire, there can be MAJOR differences based upon the device's OS.

I liked what the Android OS had to offer. Namely the widgets. I could check the basic tank status without opening the app. BEAUTIFUL!

But...when opening the Apex app, it was quickly apparent that the IOS and Android were very different. On the Android, there was almost a complete loss of graphing. No history data, etc...

It was almost as if Neptune forgot that there was another major player and then rushed to put out something</em> that would quite the Android masses.

I was sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for Fusion. When it came out, all the differences between the two were washed away.

Fusion is not an app that resides on the phone. It's a cloud based app that's accessed via a web browser. In turn, it does not care what OS you have or what device you are using.

As far as stability goes, it's as stable as your internet connection. If you home connection is up AND your remote access to the internet is good, then it's a 99.999% certainty that you'll have access to your tank controller.

Right now, I have my old Iphone sitting next to the tank. It connects to the tank via the internet so it really has no idea if it's 100's of miles away or just 6 feet.

I also use my son's Kindle Fire from time to time when I'd like to see a larger display. It too has no idea.

And sometimes I'll be sitting in the living room, watching TV or whatever and think that I should check or change something on the tank. I'll grab my Android phone. Again, it too has no idea where the tank is.

The user interface is exactly the same, regardless. Again, it's a web based thing, not an application thing.

I'd sell the one he likes best. As far as the Apex/Fusion go, there is absolutely no difference.

If you have the Apex/Fusion and you like the Android, go with the Android based device.

At this point, with the Apex/Fusion, it's not a matter of which is best on which phone. It's a matter of which phone do you like best.

Read my next comment after he clarified. He didn't state what the app was for. Only a general statement can be given based on what was given

Y-Not;1002233 wrote: Au contraire, there can be MAJOR differences based upon the device's OS.

Great review of your personal experience in regards to reef automation devices. Thank you for taking the time to type all of this out. Although I don't consider myself part of the geeks squadron, I am familiar with everything you stated above. This kind of review is exactly what I was looking for in regards of using different connecting devices to look at what's going on in the reef room. And yes, I do understand that your Internet provider is a direct reflection of your automation experience.

Wannabee

Back