Baby brine shrimp

silentdeath5

Supporting
Reaction score
Just something I was thinking about. In the freshwater hobby, freshly hatched baby brine shrimp seem to be “liquid gold” with feeding fry and even adult fish. There seems to be almost no use of it among the saltwater hobby. Is it not something that corals and fish would feed and benefit from?

There's a consensus that brine isn't really a good feeding options since it doesn't have much in the way of nutrients. I still feed it frozen once in a while but only if it's spirulina or omega enriched. Baby brine on the other hand is really good and nutritious since they still have the egg yolk attached. You can even got load the babies with phyto and make them even better. I don't have a simple direct answer to your question on why more folks in the reefing hobby don't go that route but you did get me thinking. For me, if I wanted to deal with the extra hassle, I'd grow phyto or pods. More of a "bang for your buck (and time)" kinda thing. Growing baby brine is easier and there's quite a bit of information on doing it but I don't know that I've ever known someone personally who has done it.

Now you've got me curious.

From what I understand, baby brine shrimp are far too large for corals (SPS in particular), but too small for most fish. I played with them for a while but lost interest.

Back