Baby shrimps in the overflow

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
So im guessing most got eaten but I noticed a bunch in the bottom of my overflow. They have been there for about a week. im guessing nature will sort itself out but if it doesnt, at what size are they safe from pumps etc. I could try and move them to my fuge I guess, just curious really.

yup they are mysids. they look like baby shrimp but they are full grown and very common (in other words they're probably all over your tank) so i wouldnt put much effort into trying to save or catch them.

i love the idea of saving and expanding life in my tank.
if you shut your main pump down and use a big enough siphon tube and suck them out while draining the overflow then net them up and move them to your fuge.
that's just me tho cause i love the work and make every effort for the happiness of my tanks inhabitants. and it also cool as s*#t to watch them grow.
good luck with them anyway you plan to go.

Thats crazy. if my tank has been stable for a year without adding anything then where would these have come from?

Do you have live rock or corals that came in with a piece of rock or substrate on them? If so, that's how they got there.

They can and will move about the system, in the main tank, overflow, sump and they can even survive a ride back in the return pump.

I wouldn't bother siphoning the overflow - they'll actually stick around and reproduce unimpeded in the overflow - some will find their way to the sump and back up via the pump - they are good to have. Many fish eat them, they eat detritus (they produce it too but they're tiny)... they are a sign of a healthy tank.

Jenn

Back