Bacterial bloom

declanisadog

Market
Reaction score
I've got a serious bacteria bloom going on right now. It's happened before, but it's to the point where it's bothering my corals. I stopped dosing vodka, and plan on sucking it all out during my wc tomorrow. Any other tips on getting rid of it quickly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

change or add carbon and do large water changes

(wetvac empty sump, etc)

Changed carbon/gfo today, plan on doing big water change tomorrow. Thanks for the input Ralph

I'm fresh out of airstones, but I set my skimmer to make excess bubbles and took the collection cup off. I also increased surface agitation.

Declanisadog;1031235 wrote: I'm fresh out of airstones, but I set my skimmer to make excess bubbles and took the collection cup off. I also increased surface agitation.

:thumbs:

bones305;1031294 wrote: You should Use a UV sterilizer for a bacteria bloom. It clears it up in no time

No thanks...Used to run one. Not for me.

Antibiotics will do it. (But I don't recommend it - kills both good and bad bacteria).

What caused the bloom? That's worth investigating so it doesn't happen again.

Jenn

uv should clear it up in a couple days but i would prefer carbon. hardcore carbon

JennM;1031708 wrote: Antibiotics will do it. (But I don't recommend it - kills both good and bad bacteria).

What caused the bloom? That's worth investigating so it doesn't happen again.

Jenn

My guess is vodka. I quit dosing for a few weeks and most likely started back a little strong. It's pretty much cleared up now. It's not the first time it's happened, but it was just worse than normal.

Back