Bad filter socks

bhodges82

Supporting
Reaction score
So weeks ago i ordered some filter sock from ebay, pretty cheap as compared to others, i started using them an noticed after a couple days a little bit of rusty color at the top. I looked through my purchase history and found the socks again, reading through the description at the bottom it said "fresh water only" i was like wtf?? I cut the top of the sock to find a metal ring inside, i was pissed. I have ordered more new socks with plastic tops on them. I guess I'm going to alter the bad ones by taking the metal out and use 3/8" plastic r/o tubing to hold them up. So glad i caught that before bad things happened.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Huh. I'm not the smartest guy in the world but it seem to me metal rings wouldn't be all that good for freshwater either. I'd assume that any filter socks wouldn't have any metal in them regardless of their intended purpose.

So weeks ago i ordered some filter sock from ebay, pretty cheap as compared to others, i started using them an noticed after a couple days a little bit of rusty color at the top. I looked through my purchase history and found the socks again, reading through the description at the bottom it said "fresh water only" i was like wtf?? I cut the top of the sock to find a metal ring inside, i was pissed. I have ordered more new socks with plastic tops on them. I guess I'm going to alter the bad ones by taking the metal out and use 3/8" plastic r/o tubing to hold them up. So glad i caught that before bad things happened.

Wow, never would have thought there would be metal in a filter sock either. Hmm... "For fresh water only". Has anyone ever seen a freshwater setup with a sump?
I'd love to see the link to ebay.

Cheap is cheap for a reason
5ccbb1ffefbf353731b73ec9dd51d450.jpg
34fdbc5f66a8a8d8bd3292386f4c0867.jpg

Maybe its not cheaper in China. They've been dumping cheap low quality steel on the open market for 20yrs now.

Back