bad luck with clowns..

KrisDeitz

Market
Reaction score
So i got two Clowns on Saturday. Acclimated for two hours and released them.

Ate all the mysis they could fit in their mouth.

Tuesday comes around the smaller clown gets what looks like a white goo on his left side. Next day Floating.

Today i wake up to my Other clown completely covered in it and she then swam to my Mp10..

I have a pair of fire fish and a 6line they seem to be fine. Also a YW goby and a Pistol. They have been great.

This is a BC 29 Lps, Softies and SPS
Params.

Temp 80.1
Trate was not showing up. Elos
Nh3 .1 Elos
Trite was .1 Elos

Im sure the Nh3 is from my stupid Pistol and goby pair.. They completely wrecked my sand.. and the dead clown

All coral and Inverts are doing absolutely great..

Even my pair of Pep shrimp are over a year old and still living.. I only seem to have bad luck with clowns..

I dont test for anything else.

Try petco clowns. ( don't flame) I have had good luck with clowns from there when I first entered

If Tim was still around he'd vouche for how many pair perished in my care. The first to live was a pair of maroons from petco

Im not sure if its the store i buy them from which is always the same or if im just doing something wrong. Granted i Dont Qt clowns because they are pretty tough fish

Sounds like they had Brooklynella.

Is this the only pair you've lost, or have you lost others in a similar way?

I lost a pair a few months ago so I waited 6 weeks. Got a new pair, month later they got velvet. I waited a long time this go around as I was told it can sit in the tank a good while.

You have to QT and treat clowns. They are notorious for having brook and other nasties. Wild caught and foreign captive raised alike.

Is that six line causing any problems when they're introduced?

Other fish can carry Brooklynella too, and not show symptoms - at least in my experience.

I'd QT and treat the other fish for it as well, and leave the display fishless for several weeks.

Jenn

Yeah I am now. I'm tearing the tank down to qt everything. My 6 line has not bothered anything. He's really skiddish.

What do I use to treat it when I get a new pair?

Also will copper stay in a tank and make it un usable?

Copper doesn't treat Brooklynella. Formalin does.

Neither can be used with inverts, and shouldn't be used with live rock.

You'll need to QT in a separate tank. Read my article http://imagine-ocean.com/node/58">here</a> on QT.

Jenn

Some clowns just seem more delicate (in color and behavior) than other clowns. In past years, I've gone in to a store to spend a store credit on existing stock, and purchased clowns that I knew wouldn't live long, and sure enough, they die in no time.

When I purchase clowns, I look for vibrant coloration and a bold personality, and will shop for weeks in different places til I find exactly what I want.

I can say that I've had excellent

I can honestly say I've never had any issues with clowns. I thought they were one of the most bullet-proof fishes available in the hobby?

The last part of my post above was to read;

I've had excellent experience with ORA Clowns, they are very healthy, but some of these other clowns look a bit sickly from the get-go.

Jenn I am qt I just need to know if I use it in a tank will copper stay? For future qt of ick

Also does formalin hurt inverts

PFCDeitz;704043 wrote: Jenn I am qt I just need to know if I use it in a tank will copper stay? For future qt of ick

Also does formalin hurt inverts

Depends on the copper compound (Ie- chelation, etc). Formalin will hurt EVERYTHING. It is formaldehyde dilution. Use with caution.

And Raj is 1000000% correct. Not quarantining fish, regardless of how hardy you believe them to be, is asking for it.

Back