Bad shrimp......

calhounreef

Market
Reaction score
Someone decided to eat a hammer coral. He'll be in his new home Tuesday =)
egymybyj.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

How did you catch him? Mine have expensive tastes as well and i am looking to relocate mine but havent come up with any great ways to catch them.

you know..i had a small frog spawn disappear over night when i had some peppermint shrimp..may have had a camel in there..but i never found the culprit and my hammer has been doing good but i havent had any shrimp in a while

Gotta make sure the Pep's stay fed. They don't stay hungry for long.

oldedb;942974 wrote: How did you catch him? Mine have expensive tastes as well and i am looking to relocate mine but havent come up with any great ways to catch them.

Caught him with a plastic bottle and some pellet food, had him in about 10 minutes

Newbie20;942999 wrote: What kind of shrimp is that?

From what I can tell it's a peppermint shrimp, doesn't look like what everyone calls a camel shrimp

I noticed him picking on the coral earlier that morning but I let him be to see if he would eventually leave it alone. No such luck, he kept coming back nibbling at him all day so it's time to relocate

whats the thing you keeping him in? Would be a nifty little container to have sitting around.

JC_k;943124 wrote: whats the thing you keeping him in? Would be a nifty little container to have sitting around.

I don't really know the exact name for it but it's just a plastic container designed to hang on your tank kind of like an isolation chamber I guess, I drilled holes in mine so it could have a little bit of flow through it.

It's called a birthing box, atleast the ones used for FW are. It's made to hold fish that give live birth but I've seen them used in many different ways. Lol

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

I moved my torch coral to my display yesterday and my peppermint jumped it immediately I had to run it off 3 times I'm kicking myself for forgeting to remove that shrimp during the move it must have been in with my live rock , there very elusive I can't seem to catch it.

DestineyFoster;943335 wrote: It's called a birthing box, atleast the ones used for FW are. It's made to hold fish that give live birth but I've seen them used in many different ways. Lol

Yup, that's it

Tbub1221;943367 wrote: I moved my torch coral to my display yesterday and my peppermint jumped it immediately I had to run it off 3 times I'm kicking myself for forgeting to remove that shrimp during the move it must have been in with my live rock , there very elusive I can't seem to catch it.

I had to trap mine, didn't see any other way of getting him out

My peppermint has a permanent home in my refugium. No matter how many times I put him in the display or put screen, mesh, teeth he finds a way to get into the sump. I've even watched him crawl above the water line and flick himself into the overflow. So I gave up after 20 times of getting him in the display he nows lives in the fuge

After reading about how people have issues with them eating coral, I kimda hope my wrasse will off ours but I highly doubt he will.

Yeah I've definitely decided on no peps for the big tank unless they're needed for some reason. Just added a scarlet skunk as a replacement

XxshaggyxX;943395 wrote: Yeah I've definitely decided on no peps for the big tank unless they're needed for some reason. Just added a scarlet skunk as a replacement

Hope you don't have any LPS to spot feed.....they make it a total P.I.T.A.

DestineyFoster;943335 wrote: It's called a birthing box, atleast the ones used for FW are. It's made to hold fish that give live birth but I've seen them used in many different ways. Lol

I used mine as a solitary confinement for a mean little blue damsel. By the time i let him go, my solitary confinement had become a floating refugium. All sorts of algae growing on it.

Have a hammer and small frag of zoas, but don't spot feed

Back