Bad Week for our Reef

stanfill reef

Market
Reaction score
What a week. We have been having some hair algae issues in our 30-gal tank, but I think I have it being worked out. We did purchase a sally lightfoot, but the stupid crab won't leave the rock it decided to inhabit. I mean really, shouldn't it move around the tank! But adding the crab had an unintended side effect, I think that our firefish is dead. He is a big scaredy fish and does not like anything new. He hid for 3 days when I installed a Hydor swirl to our pH in the tank. Well, he hid again after we put in the sally lightfoot and I am pretty sure he starved himself to death. i can't find him anywhere. Next our protein skimmer started to leak yesterday, I found about half a gallon of water on the floor around the tank last night (I am so glad I placed a desk chair mat under the tank to protect the carpet). I was able to seal the hole with some silicon, but it is really annoying.

The worst thing is that our atlantic pygmy angel fish died in our 20-gal tank. Can't find any reason why, all the params are good and I don't see any stress in the inverts or corals. That was my wife's favorite and had been with us for six years. It broke her heart to come home and find the hermit crab munching on her little baby.

Don't really need any advice, just needed to vent a little.

Sorry to hear about everything. That is one thing for sure with this hobby, it is ever changing and there are many good times and bad times! Keep a stiff upper lip and things will turn around.

I wouldn't give up on the firefish yet. My has disappeared under the rocks once in a while. How long has it been since you added the Sally?

sorry to hear that buddy! I just lost a yellow tang yesterday...I've been trying to catch him now for weeks. He got bullied by the other yellows and starved to death. Too sad :(

Sally lightfoots are known to catch and eat small fish (like maybe a firefish). Something to think about when restocking.

I added a sally lightfoot to my 40g to control hair algae. He never touched the stuff.

The firefish has been missing since putting in the sally (sunday), but I have not seen the crab move from the upper left hand corner of the tank. The firefish lives in the bottom left and has disappeared for days before when adding new things to the tank. He is just really scared of new things. I am pretty sure the sally did not catch him, he just refuses(ed) to come out to eat.

Back