baffle glass thickness?

cdub

Market
Reaction score
What is an ideal thickness for glass baffles in a sump? I went to lowes the other day and they had 2.5mm which seemed pretty thin.

Depends on your sump really. Those panes at lowes or HD are "ok" on something like a 30g sump. Granted yes you have a higher chance of them breaking because they are so thin. If your sump is larger, I'd definitely go thicker so it can withstand the pressure of more water on them. As Kelley said, 1/4" is nice. You may also be able to get some acrylic cut. I have a 55g sump and have 1/4" acrylic sheets...use a little more silicone and make sure it cures for a solid day and you should be good.

I had used acrylic in the past but it is a pane(lol) to cut yourself. Do you get the 1/4" from glass shops?

I had mine cut and edges smoothed at a local glass place. 1/4 inch glass, 5 pieces around 18 by 18 for $30.

Not too shabby on price! I'd just do that and never have to worry about the acrylic moving on ya (if you have a larger sump that is).

Go to your local sign shop. They should be able to get you any thickness and any color. I work at Sign-a-rama in Buford. We deal with acrylic all the time. That is how I built my sump. Good Luck!

Back