Ballast Question Redux Halides

cwalt

Market
Reaction score
Now that my question about my VHO ballst has been answered I have a new one LOL in regards to Halides

Has anyone ever taken a bay type light ( see Link) appart and used it for a Pendant?

http://atlaslightingsupply.com/highbayfixtures.html">http://atlaslightingsupply.com/highbayfixtures.html</a>

I was thinking that the ballast and socket could be seperated and then converted to a pendant type with the correct reflector or a horozontal mount within a hood?

From what i have heard a ballast is a ballast but i have not found anyone that has tried it

Once again any input / suggestions etc are appreciated

Cause i can get those type lights for $15 - $25

I would really like to see which ballast are in some of the other Light hoods to know what the actual differece in them are. I figured for 25 bucks plus some time it would by an intresting experiment.

I think Tim @ Keen had them separated and had (has?) them running for his frag tanks...

Like dawg says, it may be easier and cheaper to get a ballast, reflector and socket. The socket may not even be set up for external wiring and yr ballast may not be an easy hook-up. If you can get one for $15 it might be cheep enough to play with. If you're good at DIY it most likely can be done. I have always said "Nothing is impossible some things just take longer than others".

I was told by some that an electronic ballast couldn't be fixed. I was given a 2-t5 48" Odyssea</em> fixture with a trashed ballast. It took me a little to trace out circuit but all I had to buy was 2 bulbs after ballast repair. Went into my parts box for ballast repair parts. As long as the transformers were ok the other parts are normal. Not a great fixture but the price was right and my 55g FOWLR critters appreciated it. Before that I had 1-40w t12 6500k on it. The only thing the trigger doesn't eat is Kenya tree and it does fine with the rock, trigger, puffer, tusk and percs. Thinking about upgrading tank and lights in the future. More tank, more lights, you all know the drill. LOL

Champion lighting has magnetic= core & coil type ballasts for $15.00

<u><span style="color: #810081">
home.php

They will work so long as the ballast matches the bulb (m58, m80 etc.)

You can remove the reflector and rewire the socket for remote operation. But, as others have already pointed out, the seperate components are cheap to not have to mess with rigging an industrial fixture.

Back