Ballasts

chicagoman_35

Market
Reaction score
Alright, I think I am going to replace my 2 250Watt MH ballasts for my SE retro's.
I am currently using Advance magnetic ballasts. What is the best ballast to replace these with?

But, which one? There are many brands out there... Is one better than others?

I do plan on running Ushio 10k's if that makes a diffrence...

IMO IceCaps are considered the best, but I don't think they come in dual.

Blue Wave and Galaxy ballasts are considered a quality ballast as well.

http://www.aquatictech.com/lighting.html#Icecap%20Ballasts">http://www.aquatictech.com/lighting.html#Icecap%20Ballasts</a>

I'd check with Doug McIntyre as well, he is local and is a sponsor for the club. Mention that you're a member of the ARC.

I have Icecaps on my DE 250 and they work great. Support is great, the price is good and they work with both SE and DE bulbs. Be aware that for $129, all you get is the ballast, you will need to wire it up yourself.

I have two 250w icecap ballasts if you're interested. IMO, they are the best. Best quality and best service.

1 ballast is NIB, the other has been used. Broncoxpress bought the other 2 if you want to ask an independent opinion on the ballasts I have.

Thanks everyone...

After a discussion with Sam, I ordered a dual 250w Galaxy.

Should get it hooked up next weekend!

chicagoman_35;142699 wrote: Thanks everyone...

After a discussion with Sam, I ordered a dual 250w Galaxy.

Should get it hooked up next weekend!

Good choice. I am not so much fixated on name brand ballast or bulbs. I have ordered a generic dual electronic ballast from Ebay. As soon as it gets here and installed, I will compare that will a name brand ballast in which incidentally looks like the one I have ordered from Ebay.

I know the par meter will come in handy one day..:D

After that, I will even gonna ordered me some Ebay's bulbs and stack that against the Phoenix.

purpleGORILLA;142777 wrote: Good choice. I am not so much fixated on name brand ballast or bulbs. I have ordered a generic dual electronic ballast from Ebay. As soon as it gets here and installed, I will compare that will a name brand ballast in which incidentally looks like the one I have ordered from Ebay.

I know the par meter will come in handy one day..:D

After that, I will even gonna ordered me some Ebay's bulbs and stack that against the Phoenix.
the problem with the ebay ballast is that they dont last long you can ask tim keen reef that they suck i think he has gonne threw a few ...as for the bulds you might see a big diffence in them .....and i think the spectrums might be diffrent ...as for your par meter i would like if you can come test mine if you dont mind thanks
victor

Back