Bare bottom coral questions

jman930

Supporting
Reaction score
I've contemplated going bare bottom on my next build. I am curious if fleshy LPS like welsos or scollys or plates can be placed in a bare bottom tank. I love these corals and that may be the deciding factor on sand / no sand for me!

I would place things like scollys on pieces of rubble. I think the key is to make sure there isn't too much flow. Many bare bottom tanks I see have the flow cranked up because you don't have to worry about kicking up substrate.

Most LPS should be fine as long as they are secured.

I will be BB in my 300, I have never had any issues before with LPS and BB. You will just use tiles instead of frag plugs for them and they will weight it down :)

Just got delivered sat. This will be BB I love the look of sand but hate scratches and I am an SPS guy so I love flow. But I will have LPS in there for sure. The wife and kids hate sticks and like things that move.

Attachments

• 323DACA4-C08B-4D93-B596-5828CAD8676F.jpeg
    323DACA4-C08B-4D93-B596-5828CAD8676F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
Just got delivered sat. This will be BB I love the look of sand but hate scratches and I am an SPS guy so I love flow. But I will have LPS in there for sure. The wife and kids hate sticks and like things that move.

did you build the stand out of 80/20 aluminum? I've seen lots of stands built out of this lately. I'm curious about the structural integrity for a 300+ gallon tank. 8x300 is a lot of weight!

did you build the stand out of 80/20 aluminum? I've seen lots of stands built out of this lately. I'm curious about the structural integrity for a 300+ gallon tank. 8x300 is a lot of weight!

This stand is 80/90 and 80/45 it will hold 3 x’s the weight I’ll have on it. They do a full structural analysis before building and send you the info including deflection, load, hot zone, etc.

I work with a manufacturer in Florida.

My favorite Bare Bottom Tank! Dave passed away some years ago. Dave was a tremendous help to the ARC. I would have never dreamed a tank could turn out to be so Beautiful with a Bare Bottom. Incredible!

wannabee

Back