Bare Bottom CuC

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
For those that have bare bottom tanks, what do you use for CuC? Specifically, what snails?

Also, do you guys vaccum the bottom of the tank when you do water changes?

Im kinda new to the BB tanks with the 55gallon. CuC? I dont have any large snails in mine just about 100 babys. And my power head blows off all the debri on the bottom and keeps it suspended in the water undtil in gets to the sump/skimmer.

Turbos do a pretty good job on mine. I also have some brittle stars and a few small hermits that help out.
As for settlement on the bottom, theoretically, there should be enough flow in a BB tank to keep everything in suspension until it reaches the overflow, but I tweaked my flow to "herd" the really big/heavy particles (like tiny pieces of rock that may be chipped off) to a specific area that is sucked up in a water change. This is typically the only area that requires the vac, and only occasionally.

I might need a bit more flow in mine. i don't have any powerheads, just the closed loop with a little giant 3. I only have a mag3 on the return and thinking to upgrade it to a mag 7. For reference, it's a 20" cube so mag3 should be sufficient for cycling the water but a bigger pump would give me some more water movement.

Cerith and nerites are the only things I have in my tank....well and 1 turbo. They hold up pretty well to the high flow. And yes, you vacuum the bottom if any detritus is there...which there will be.

I have sand, but if I had to start over again with the cleaup crew I would go snails. At least 90%

Well i have a nice mixture in my BB Solana, ceriths, orange chestnut turbos (now purple), 1 nass. bc there is always a pile of detritus some that he can sift through, and 1 or 2 astreas.

Astereas are great, but if you have higher flow and they get knocked over and end up flipped over...they are gonners. At least that's what happened in my tank. Oh well.

Back