Bartlett Anthias?

tanner86

Market
Reaction score
About a month ago I picked up 3 Bartlett Anthias. They were all swimming out in front of the tank and schooling together. Now, they stay in a cave and one inparticular never leaves the cave. No other fish bothers or torments them. Any ideas why this is occuring?

Most anthias like the bartlett are kinda squirly with brightly lit aquariums. Since they're mostly deep water fish sometimes they don't adapt well to our light saturated reef tanks.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Would that cause them to hover in a cave after 3 weeks of being out and swimming?

Can't really say what's going through their lil heads :). I'd say 3 weeks of peaceful schooling shows they acclimated correctly. Something may have just spooked them... hopefully they'll come back out and school for you.

FutureInterest;58043 wrote: Can't really say what's going through their lil heads :). ... hopefully they'll come back out and school for you.

well, almost said "easy to see what the problem is: school doesn't start until August."

(but then I changed my mind)

:jester:

Could they be mating? Does anyone know if they would all hover in the same cave if this was happening? I would atleast think the male would be out swimming.

If they were all females when you bought them you may have one that is going thought a sex change, that will cause them to act strange. True what (future interest) said they do come from deep low light reefs but have seen many do well under high light tanks. I have two in my tank now and one is changing sex ,(mine hid for days also)there top fin will come to more of a point and color and patterns will change.

I have all females and this might be what is ocurring. Could you post a pic of your pair so I could see the difference and compare?

I dont have any picks of the change over as of yet will post soon and my lights are out now. This is the female that is changing now.
019-1.jpg
alt="" />

Here is what all my anthias look like. Today I noticed, during feeding time, that 2 of the three have developed a fushia pink line starting at the top of the eyes and ending at the dorsal fin. Any ideas? Males, Females?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
58282=3969-mo.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
58282=3969-mo.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="mo.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back