Base Rock

gclackum

Supporting
Reaction score
I broke down my tank about 4 years ago due to a algae outbreak that took over my tank. I put the rock in a plastic storage bin and put it outside. Fast forward 4 years. Bin is deteriated full of rain and rock. Tank is set up again. I would like to use some of this rock in my tank but want to make sure it's clean. Someone tell me how to make it suitable for re-entry.
Thanks

What is the recipe for muriatic? How strong solution? How many rinses? How long does it need to dry?

I've used a 10:1 water to acid ratio. It will bubble and let off gas so do it outside. Once the bubbling stops it is ready for a rinse. I like to add baking soda to neautralize the acid completely. Then rinse a couple of times followed by soaking in clean water overnight. Followed by air drying.

Don't take this method to lightly you are dealing with a strong acid. Always add acid to water not the other way.

Ok I used the acid. Have rinsed it twice and soaked it in RODI water in between and for several days now. So next step is to let it Dry? Any thing to test to make sure it doesn't cause issues with my tank. PH etc. Thanks for the help.

Back