Basic question (I already feel stupid)

lilrobb

Market
Reaction score
Reading a lot about corals and clams right now.

Both as per the definition are ANIMALS, now the definition for animal says somewhere NON-PHOTOSYNTHETIC...

Obviously our little critters need light - and also obviously NOT for photosynthesis (or I'll return my biology book tomorrow) what do they need the light for???

Robb

they have a symbiotic relationship with a type of single celled algae that live in them and need light

Robin, many our corals (and their close cousins) need light because they house mutualistic dinoflagellate algae in their tissues. These algae are photosynthetic and require sunlight or, in our case, artificial light, to make their own food. Non-photosynthetic corals rely solely on filter feeding.

The most basic definition of an animal is a multicellular, heterotrophic organism that lacks a cell wall. The main difference between animals and fungi is the cell wall. Fungi have one. We don't. :lol:

from http://www.corareefcreatures.com">www.corareefcreatures.com</a>

"A major oddity of coral animals which makes it possible for them to do what they do is that many are actually two reef creatures living together in what is called a endosymbiotic relationship. Symbiosis is a relationship in which both animals benefit. Each coral animal has living inside it another organism called a zooanthellae, a type of one celled dinoflagellate (Symbiodinium adriaticum). Zooanthellae do something remarkable; they are animals, but they photosynthesize food like plants. By living inside the coral animals they are protected. At the same time the food they photosynthesize helps provide food for the coral animal.A major oddity of coral animals which makes it possible for them to do what they do is that many are actually two reef creatures living together in what is called a endosymbiotic relationship. Symbiosis is a relationship in which both animals benefit. Each coral animal has living inside it another organism called a zooanthellae, a type of one celled dinoflagellate (Symbiodinium adriaticum). Zooanthellae do something remarkable; they are animals, but they photosynthesize food like plants. By living inside the coral animals they are protected. At the same time the food they photosynthesize helps provide food for the coral animal."

Photosynth. You got it right. The animals have a symbiotic relationship with algae

Ahhhh,

never thought of the symbiosis - so corals do NOT need light, but their symbionts do...
Same for clams?

Im not sure about clams but what everyone said about the corals is correct, althought there are some corals that are nonphotosynesis.

Jamos5790;325041 wrote: Im not sure about clams but what everyone said about the corals is correct, althought there are some corals that are nonphotosynesis.

The tridacnid clams that we tend to keep in reef aquaria also house mutualistic dinoflagellates. Different species rely on the algae in differing amounts. That is why some of these clams need more light intensity than others.

There are MANY clams that do not rely on symbionts. They get all their nourishment from the water column by filter-feeding. These are not the kind we typically keep in our salt-water tanks.

I was just reading about that last night on a mailorder site... it was an accidental encounter with knowledge. I was just trying to learn what all the corals I see named on ARC actually look like. I guess you just stumble into it sometimes!

Isn't it great to have knowledgeable people on forums like this...!

Thanks to all

And if you ever need to know something about US customs, entry permits etc... PM me, that's my specialty...

Back