Battery backup options

rykwong

Supporting
Reaction score
I am starting up my IM 50 gal lagoon tank. I have been reading about different options for battery backup in case of a power outage. Generator is not an option. I am considering hooking up my nano koralia to a cyberpower backup battery for about $110.

What are some of yall using? Ecotech with the battery? Icecap gyre with a battery? Or buy a air pump that turns on when the power goes off? Thanks for the input.

Rich

Those koralia won't work unless it's a true sin wave power supply. The ups probably is, but a cigarette lighter inverter won't do it.
So I would definitely go with something DC.

Also, converting 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC by way of an inverter is inherently inefficient. It’s much better to use a 12 or 24 volt DC pump and run them off of DC battery directly.

That said,
I am setting up IM50 & IM25 Lagoons also, both tied into one sump. The 50 has an MP40 with Ecotech battery backup. The 25 has an Icecap 1k Gyre which is either going to have an Icecap Battery Backup V2, or some other 24 vdc backup.,The Icecap version isn’t available now, so that decision might be made for me. Also have a Varios return pump which requires a 24vdc backup as well. So still looking at 24 vdc options.

I was thinking about going the Icecap 2K with a battery. The IM DC pump might also work with the icecap battery.

Back