Battery Backup

jkz429

Supporting
Reaction score
Do you guys use battery back up. If so what size tank do you use and brand/model

I use to have a back battery for all my pumps, I used the icecap model. Not cheap but very easy and fully automatic if power went out.

That was then, now I have a small generator (gas) I just turn on. I have Heavy duty extension cord already run through the house. I just unplug 2 power strips from the wall and plug into the extensions and everything for the tanks turns on. It also accommodates our 2 refrigerators, wife's office and some outlets in the kitchen for charging stuff and making coffee. Next step will be a whole house generator...

I just finished a rooftop solar installation here in Atlanta. Also selected a 10 kwh battery backup for the tank, fridge and internet. A little more expensive than my ecotech battery for the MP40...

A generac or Tesla one is pretty cheap if you go through insurance and claim it some way. I’m not sure how my guy does it but I came out of pocket lien 2500 or something.

I wrote up my DIY 24VDC backup for the Varios pumps used for return & skimming.
(Link below)

I opted for the Ecotech Vortech battery backups for the Vortech powerheads.

All are automatic charge, switchover and spec’d to run 30+ hours.

Thread 'DIY-Battery backups'
https://atlantareefclub.org/threads/diy-battery-backups.118913

I wrote up my DIY 24VDC backup for the Varios pumps used for return & skimming.
(Link below)

I opted for the Ecotech Vortech battery backups for the Vortech powerheads.

All are automatic charge, switchover and spec’d to run 30+ hours.

Thread 'DIY-Battery backups'
https://atlantareefclub.org/threads/diy-battery-backups.1189137/
Thank you for the information. Do you know how my watts it is

Thank you for the information. Do you know how my watts it is
Each pair of batteries provides 65 Amp Hours at 24 volts

Ohms law says (for maximum capacity) :
24 volts X 65 Amp (hours) = 1,560 watts
Or, about what an average blow dryer or microwave oven uses.

That said, it’s not good to draw down batteries, especially lead acid types, at their maximum capacity. So, I draw about 50 watts or less of from each battery pair. This greatly extends run time, to better than 30 hours, & helps prevent damage to the battery cells.

FWIW,
I run Reef Octopus Varios 2 & 4 pumps, which draw 25 Watts & 40 Watts (max.) at 24 Volts DC, respectively.

Back