Bayer Dip...

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
So I was SEARCHING for Bayer Complete Insect killer today. I couldn't find it to save my life. Apparently, it's now branded as Bio-Advanced Complete Insect killer. Same bottle, and everything. Just a different "brand." I even googled to make sure this was the case. I've never used it before, so praying these corals open up and make it. But if you didn't know, now you know...

Attachments

• 8F661CD6-A256-4508-BBA9-E5B75E34CC23.jpeg
    8F661CD6-A256-4508-BBA9-E5B75E34CC23.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Thanks for the research and info! Hopefully, all will be well.

So I was SEARCHING for Bayer Complete Insect killer today. I couldn't find it to save my life. Apparently, it's now branded as Bio-Advanced Complete Insect killer. Same bottle, and everything. Just a different "brand." I even googled to make sure this was the case. I've never used it before, so praying these corals open up and make it. But if you didn't know, now you know...
This is what I have read to. Alot of people use it but I can't bring myself to dip a coral in a pesticide. But on the other hand I have diped zoas in peroxide to kill any algae on the plug.

That’s what I’ve been using. As a matter fact I have like a four-year-old bottle. I take a medium size Tupperware container. Add 10 to 15 mL of Bear advanced insecticide. Mixed in with the salt water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Scrub it with a soft toothbrush.
And then I do 2 sets of fresh saltwater rinse
then plop‘Um in the tank. Same for sps, lps and zoas
I’ve never had a problem

Apparently, there are now multiple versions of this “new Bayer” out there, one of which contains a slightly different formulation that is not coral-safe. It could all be a load of bull, but it may be worth a google search to make sure you’re getting the right version.

I used 20ml for 2 cups of water. That's what the BRS video I watched said to do. And I did 15 minutes.

Oh? Like what?

Also - I know - Coral QT tank - I'll get there this weekend!

Bayer will not kill black bugs which are like red bugs but much worse. I know a few local hobbyists who were very regimented dippers and still got them and confirmed through bayer dipping infected acros that bayer slowed them down but the buggers didn't dislodge and would start doing their thing once back in the tank. It also doesn't do anything against polyclad flatworms and some other flatworms.

And of course... like every other dip, It will never kill the eggs of any lil nasties out there either... so those that rely on dipping alone should be removing the frag plugs and throwing those away and then just dipping the coral if possible as that's the most common place eggs are laid.

Bayer will not kill black bugs which are like red bugs but much worse. I know a few local hobbyists who were very regimented dippers and still got them and confirmed through bayer dipping that they it slowed them down but they didn't dislodge and would start doing their thing once back in the tank. It also doesn't do anything against polyclad flatworms and some other flatworms.

And of course... like every other dip, It will never kill the eggs of any lil nasties out there either... so those that rely on dipping alone should be removing the frag plugs and throwing those away and then just dipping the coral if possible as that's the most common place eggs are laid.
I definitely remove frag plugs (now). I put most of my corals for growout on 3" squares. But yeah - coral QT tank is this weekend's project...sigh.

I dip in Bayer, then Revive, then a saltwater iodine bath that I added after last year's club talk. So far so good, I haven't lost anything or had anything nasty make it though.

I definitely remove frag plugs (now). I put most of my corals for growout on 3" squares. But yeah - coral QT tank is this weekend's project...sigh.
I’m getting less intimidated by coral now so soon I will be removing them so will be doing that soon.

I dip in Bayer, then Revive, then a saltwater iodine bath that I added after last year's club talk. So far so good, I haven't lost anything or had anything nasty make it though.
Can you elaborate on the saltwater iodine bath?

Can you elaborate on the saltwater iodine bath?
Same as the other dips, but I use a small container and add enough iodine to turn the water the color of tea, about 20 drops for about 3-4 oz of 1.026 saltwater. 3-5 minutes per coral. @FutureInterest, that general recommendation was in his coral pest talk last year and he might have better instructions. I found the possibility of black bugs particularly disturbing.

Same as the other dips, but I use a small container and add enough iodine to turn the water the color of tea, about 20 drops for about 3-4 oz of 1.026 saltwater. 3-5 minutes per coral. @FutureInterest, that general recommendation was in his coral pest talk last year and he might have better instructions. I found the possibility of black bugs particularly disturbing.
Same. I use iodine already but wanted to make sure it wasn't something different. Example - today I picked up a peach tipped frogspawn that Shari and I went halfsies on in an auction. I got it home and gave it a 10mL per cup of water Bayer (now Bio-Advanced) dip for 15 minutes, 5 minutes in a rinse, 15 minutes in iodine, and another five minutes in a different rinse. The next thing to do is get ReVive by Two Little Fishies and add that to my dipping regiment.

Back