Bayer

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
Who uses bayer insect killer for a pest dip. What is your experience with it. Do corals respond well to it? What other dips would you recommend?

Melafix has served me well, corals haven't shown any trouble with it, and it kills pretty much everything on rock/plugs. pods, worms, brittle stars, everything. I was sad to see the little brittles in their death throws :(

walterp1982;1038242 wrote: Melafix has served me well, corals haven't shown any trouble with it, and it kills pretty much everything on rock/plugs. pods, worms, brittle stars, everything. I was sad to see the little brittles in their death throws :(

Just looked it up, melafix is a fish medication for bacterial and fungal infections of fish. How do you use it? What dosage and how long do you leave it in? Also where do you get it?

barry_keith;1038246 wrote: I use Bayer on everything. Never had any issue. Okay I take that back, I haven't used it on NPS. But its great stuff, doesn't stress stuff like other coral dips

Do all your LPS do well with it? I love trachys, but not sure how they would responde to it.

the melafix should be at any lfs. ive seen it at petsmart, but I got mine from RIT. It's made using tea tree oil, and smells great.

On the back it has instructions for using as a coral dip:
As a coral dip: Corals may be treated in small containers, and then placed in the aquarium. Dose: Add 4tsp per 1/2 gal tank water. Place the coral in the water for 3-5 min (5max). Coral should be shaken under water to help dislodge worms.

I like it because it's good for fish too, so multi-purpose.

barry_keith;1038296 wrote: you'll be fine. I use 7ml of Bayer per cup of water. Soak for 10-15 minutes and then rinse twice for about 10 minutes.

Ok thanks, that was going to be my next question

bayer is awesome, better than any other coral dip out there IMO with 2 exceptions: it's hazardous, and it's really hard to see critters.
I like to know if something had aefw personally so i can toss it or qt with multiple dips. You should use a glass container and carefully lift it up after dipping, and put it underneath a light and look through the bottom. Usually see decently then. Also, if i really want to see what came off, i use revive. It's the only one i've found that kills both red bugs and aefw (but not the eggs). I've also killed several corals with revive. The smooth skinned acro's don't like it much, at the recommended dosage i find 4 minutes it's time to pull it out. at 8 mins there's a very high mortality rate on smooth skinned acros with revive.
bayer I got about 8 mins, i don't like longer because your water in your cup gets cold from sitting out and I don't want to shock the corals with bad temp swings. Also, i find most everything starts falling off at the 2 min mark.

Back