Beautiful Lemonpeel Angelfish died today!

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I picked up a Lemonpeel Angelfish a week ago that was healthy and eating well. In my tank it would take just a few morsels of any prepared food I put in the tank, but it was constantly picking at the rocks and ate a lot of Nori. This morning it did not come out when the lights came on but I could see it under the rocks upright and looking normal. When I fed the tank at noon it still did not come out so I went looking for it again and found it laying on its side dead. Attached is a picture of it out of the tank. Yestereday it looked completely normal. The other habitants in the tank are a One-spot Foxface, Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish, and a Lawnmower Blenny.

I tested the water a few minutes ago: Temp 78.7, SG 1.025, PH 8.0, Amm 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Phosphate 0, Calcium 380, Alkalinity 8 dKH.

Temperature from digital thermometer, SG from refractometer, PH from Pinpoint PH Monitor, All others API test kits. Any ideas?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
229829=13565-Fish-Lemonpeel Angelfish_DSC04676a_65G_081017.jpg
>
229829=13565-Fish-Lemonpeel Angelfish_DSC04676a_65G_081017.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Fish-Lemonpeel Angelfish_DSC04676a_65G_081017.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Bud, that's really sad news.

Brandon mentioned something about treating for cyanide with new fish...maybe it was something related to the collection method? Was it from an established tank or LFS?

We had a yellow tang once that died with that kind of brown stuff on it. Someone told us it was a bacterial infection. It appeared on the tang and spread rather rapidly.

Probably nothing you could do. So sorry for your loss.

:(

It came from an LFS that had it for three weeks with it eating great and looking good. I'm hoping Brandon looks at it, he may recognize the red stuff. I thought during the talk the other night, Kevin mentioned something about red sores and a fish going fast once it gets it, but I don't remember exactly what he said about it.

LorenK;229836 wrote: Bud, that's really sad news.

Brandon mentioned something about treating for cyanide with new fish...maybe it was something related to the collection method? Was it from an established tank or LFS?

It wouldn't hurt to go back to the LFS and inquire about the collection methods. As others have mentioned, Cyanide has a lingering affect in fish and can take some time for the fish to be affected. I saw the fish when it was in the tank and it certaintly appeared healthy and eating well. I would have thought if it had a bacterial infection you would have noticed something prior to this morning, knowing how closely you observe your tanks.

bobz;229854 wrote: I would have thought if it had a bacterial infection you would have noticed something prior to this morning, knowing how closely you observe your tanks.

I am suprised he didn't see the little bacteria floating around with the magnifying glass of his!

that sucks, sorry for your loss. It eat at you when you cannot find a good reason for a death.

Wow, that looks like the same thing I noticed on my clown that I am treating for now. I saw it the first day, and immediately quarantined. The clown is doing better for now, but I didnt realize how fast this could kill.

I guess thats a perk of clowns, being that they swim and sleep out in the open rather than in a rock where you cannot see them untill it's too late.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

It's very possible he got stuck by the fox face or dwarf lion. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for all the inputs. I was wondering if one of these guys could have done this. I have no idea what a venom sting would look like on another fish. During the day everyone played nicely, but of course I have no idea what's going on behind the rocks after the lights go out. I know the lionfish is a little more active after the lights are out, but the foxface would immediately go to the top of the tank between the return nozzles to sleep. The angel was still pretty active for several hours after dark but would finally settle down under the rocks.

glxtrix;229986 wrote: It's very possible he got stuck by the fox face or dwarf lion. Sorry for your loss.

I think Jin is right with internal parasite. THe red looks like hemmoraging?

I'm still guessing bacterial infection, especially given the location of the discoloration.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13565&d=1224273838" alt="" />

I found [IMG]http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compldiagnodisease/a/aa042801.htm">this page</a> on bacterial infection.

"Healthy fish have a strong, natural resistance to bacteria and can usually fight it off on their own, but weak, sick and/or [B]stressed fish[/B] can be very susceptible to this illness. <u>The tiny open pores of the lateral line are most often the point of entry for the onset of internal infections</u>

[B]Symptoms [/B]

The common signs can be one or a combination of the following:
<ul>
<li>Reddened and frayed fins, or red streaks through the fins.</li>
<li>Disintegration of the fins, i.e fin and tail rot.</li>
<li>[B]Redness around the area of the lateral line, often seen as streaks or blotches.[/B]</li>
<li>Open sores on the sides of the body and near the fins.</li>
<li>Bloody scales at the base of the fins.</li>
<li>Rapid breathing.</li>
<li>A grey film over the eyes.</li>
<li>Listlessness or lethargy.</li>
<li>Loss of appetite.</li>
<li>Abdominal swelling or bloating. This is usually a sign of a bladder infection, often a common problem with wrasses that burrow in the substrate.</li>
</ul>Bacterial diseases usually do not kill fish in a couple of days, especially larger ones, but more over a one to two week period. However, there are some viral strains that may do so. In any case, the prompt isolation of infected fish and treatment with an antibiotic in a QT (quarantine tank) is important. [B]Even minor topical infections can progress quickly, and once the disease is in the systemic stage it affects the internal organs. The fish stops eating, the respiration rate increases and the fish eventually lays on the bottom and dies[/B].

Thanks, Linda. That sounds like it.

Linda Lee;230076 wrote: I'm still guessing bacterial infection, especially given the location of the discoloration.

I found http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compldiagnodisease/a/aa042801.htm">this page</a> on bacterial infection.

"Healthy fish have a strong, natural resistance to bacteria and can usually fight it off on their own, but weak, sick and/or [B]stressed fish[/B] can be very susceptible to this illness. <u>The tiny open pores of the lateral line are most often the point of entry for the onset of internal infections</u>

[B]Symptoms [/B]

The common signs can be one or a combination of the following:
<ul>
<li>Reddened and frayed fins, or red streaks through the fins.</li>
<li>Disintegration of the fins, i.e fin and tail rot.</li>
<li>[B]Redness around the area of the lateral line, often seen as streaks or blotches.[/B]</li>
<li>Open sores on the sides of the body and near the fins.</li>
<li>Bloody scales at the base of the fins.</li>
<li>Rapid breathing.</li>
<li>A grey film over the eyes.</li>
<li>Listlessness or lethargy.</li>
<li>Loss of appetite.</li>
<li>Abdominal swelling or bloating. This is usually a sign of a bladder infection, often a common problem with wrasses that burrow in the substrate.</li>
</ul>Bacterial diseases usually do not kill fish in a couple of days, especially larger ones, but more over a one to two week period. However, there are some viral strains that may do so. In any case, the prompt isolation of infected fish and treatment with an antibiotic in a QT (quarantine tank) is important. [B]Even minor topical infections can progress quickly, and once the disease is in the systemic stage it affects the internal organs. The fish stops eating, the respiration rate increases and the fish eventually lays on the bottom and dies[/B].[/QUOTE]

sorry he passed :,(. He was beautiful. I was sitting on the sofa a few minuets ago, I rarely have a chance to do that. when I saw something fall from my canopy, out of the corner of my eye. I got up to check it out and what did I find, you may ask. My six line wrass laying on the carpet. I scooped him up and droped him back in. He looks fine and the short trip carpet surfing was his fun for the day(I HOPE).

Jason

Back