Berghia Nudibranch

havoc17

Market
Reaction score
I bought a piece of live rock to help seed my tank several months ago. Noticed about a month later that I had an anemone growing in it and thought it was great to have something new in tank that wasn't a fish. I later learned that it was an aiptasia and killed it using Kalk paste. I've noticed that I have between 50 to 100 white dots that seem to be baby aiptasia all over the tank including the overflow and sump. I've read about the berghia nudibranch being perfect for the job, but they are expensive even more so if you have to have them shipped. Does anyone have a LFS that sells them that they get theirs from? I have a 120 gallon tank and guessing that I need at least 8 or so to start. Thanks!

havoc17;954920 wrote: I bought a piece of live rock to help seed my tank several months ago. Noticed about a month later that I had an anemone growing in it and thought it was great to have something new in tank that wasn't a fish. I later learned that it was an aiptasia and killed it using Kalk paste. I've noticed that I have between 50 to 100 white dots that seem to be baby aiptasia all over the tank including the overflow and sump. I've read about the berghia nudibranch being perfect for the job, but they are expensive even more so if you have to have them shipped. Does anyone have a LFS that sells them that they get theirs from? I have a 120 gallon tank and guessing that I need at least 8 or so to start. Thanks!

What other creatures do you have in the tank.
You mentioned "to have something new in tank that wasn't a fish".

If all you have at the moment is fish, you could try a somewhat cheaper option that worked for me.
I jacked up my magnesium to 2200 using TechM.

While it did put a hurting on the briopsis, it also took out the aiptasia, mushrooms, candy cane, frogspawn, war corals, acans, pods, crabs, etc...

On the bright side, I have not seen the slightest hair of aiptasia.

Or...pick up some true (as in aiptasia eating) peppermint shrimp.

I have hermit crabs, snails, and cleaner shrimp in the tank. I've also added some polyps. I didn't think the peppermint shrimp would work if the aiptasia was on the glass away from the rocks.

I'm about 50/50 that all the white dots are baby aiptasia. I've counted 15-20 small aiptasia that have stalks and on the glass, sump, and overflow. I don't think the dots are snail eggs because they are random on rocks and the glass. Same dots are in the overflow and sump. I've seen snail eggs in the tank before and they usually follow a pattern or line on the glass.

In the sump, overflow and tank? Likely those are not Aiptasia but just common calcium deposits we all get. Aiptasia have the same lighting requirements all anemones have and are less likely to be in places such as your sump or overflow.

they may also be tiny little feather dusters that build up calcium based tubes around them selves in a spiral shape.

DawgFace;955003 wrote: In the sump, overflow and tank? Likely those are not Aiptasia but just common calcium deposits we all get. Aiptasia have the same lighting requirements all anemones have and are less likely to be in places such as your sump or overflow.

And before I get called out on this... The use of All in the above quote is meant in the context of aiptasia being photosynthetic. Saying all anemones are the same is categorically wrong in almost everyway.

Back to the issue at hand, may also be Spirorbis. At the end of the day need good pictures to properly identify. Don't go out buying a specific feeder that may die if your wrong until you know for sure.

Here is what is on the back of the tank. The item that I think is aiptasia is indicated by the arrows. The second picture is what is in the overflow box.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
955173=53758-arrow.jpg
>
955173=53758-arrow.jpg
class="gc-images" title="arrow.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
955173=53759-over.jpg
>
955173=53759-over.jpg
class="gc-images" title="over.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back