Best 14k 250 mh bulb double ended

1percula

Market
Reaction score
I have noticed pricing all over the place for these bulbs. I am sure there is a good reason. I understand that if you are buying 150w 14k you want Phoenix. If you are buying a 10K 150w you want Ushio?

Any thoughts on the best bulb for 14k 250w MH bulbs?

I like phoenix 14k 250 DE personally, great combo of blue and white...

I use Ushio 20Ks, but they look closer to 14ks to me so they may make you happy. I am looking to go to something a little bluer. FWIW, I get ~700 PAR at the surface and ~200-250 at the sand in a standard 90g.

BASSCYN;614266 wrote: Cant go wrong with the Phoenix bulbs.

I'm really interested in these myself... Phoenix users say they are bluer than most 14Ks, while I've seen that the Ushios are whiter than most 20Ks... I'd love to hear from somebody who has used both in order to know which is the bluer of the two.

cr500_af;614269 wrote: I'm really interested in these myself... Phoenix users say they are bluer than most 14Ks, while I've seen that the Ushios are whiter than most 20Ks... I'd love to hear from somebody who has used both in order to know which is the bluer of the two.

I have a 4x250 fixture with all 14k Phoenix bulbs.
I wanted to try and get more blue. I put 2 Iwaki 20ks on the ends and left the Phoenix 14ks in the center.

Ive been running this since December.

I cant tell the difference.

Going back to the Phoenix 14k's

BASSCYN;614280 wrote: I have a 4x250 fixture with all 14k Phoenix bulbs.
I wanted to try and get more blue. I put 2 Iwaki 20ks on the ends and left the Phoenix 14ks in the center.

Ive been running this since December.

I cant tell the difference.

Going back to the Phoenix 14k's

That helps a little, though I don't know how Ushio/Iwaki would compare. I'd like the color I get with the Ushios and 2x54w actinic T5s (which is still not as blue as, say, a Radium), without having to run the T5s all day. I'd save money just using them as sunrise/sunset.

I just replaced my bulbs with Phoenix 14k 250 DE...very happy!
My only regret is I didn't order from here (although I did get my T-5s), as I had already placed my order. Would have had free shipping too!
$47.99 each
a>

I've used both and prefer the ushio 20K. The Phoenix bulbs I had started out with a very nice color but seemed to loose the blue tint and turn more white after 3 to 4 months. I'm using an M80 ballast though and have read that this color shift in the Phoenix bulbs doesn't happen when they're run on electronic ballasts. Then again, maybe it's just me. I've never used an electronic ballast. They are both good bulbs but my eyes prefer the ushio.

cr500_af;614269 wrote: I'm really interested in these myself... Phoenix users say they are bluer than most 14Ks, while I've seen that the Ushios are whiter than most 20Ks... I'd love to hear from somebody who has used both in order to know which is the bluer of the two.

The Phoenix 14k 250w is extremely blue for its kelvin temp. And the best part is you still get amazing par values with them as well. I had one on my old setup and loved the color and coral growth.

Back